Should I spay my pregnant (maybe) dog?

If you have read any of my post or visited my page then you know I have four dogs. # are female and one is male. My two youngest are brother and sister. The intention was always to spay my older two dogs but as the were house dogs and not outside without a leash we were lax. This past weekend we came home to find my male 11 month old puppy locked with my 5 year old female. I called the vet this morning and they said they could spay her and neuter him on Wednesday. If she is pregnant they will remove the puppies. Of course it is too soon to tell and if I wait until we can tell it will be much more dangerous for her. I feel awful and hate the idea of aborting the puppies but on the other hand there are so many animals out there without homes it seems irresponsible to bring more puppies into this world. What are your thoughts? Should I spay her or wait and see if she is pregnant?

MokaMommy

Asked by MokaMommy at 2:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pets

• ok anon....here we go...someone who isn't thinking out side the box. Yes, have her spayed. Period. Have you ever walked up and down the shelter aisles in a town that kills over 70,000 dogs a year?? Have you even walked in the back room and smelled the death of a PUPPY??? Not ALL pups are adopted, just FYI. Have you ever seen the dog wag his tail on the "long walk back" only to be pinned down to a cold metal table and have a huge hollow bore needle shoved in it's leg, while she's terrified??? The dogs don't understand what's going on when they are pregnant. Spaying them and not letting them give birth reduces their risk of breast cancer by 80% also. But hey, if you want to be the one to contribute to that, then that's YOUR selfish decision. ANd YES, I DO call myself a mommy...to the most beautiful and happy little girl in the world....along with 4 furbabies. Any other questions??

calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• SPAY AND NUETER IMMEDIATLEY!! Yes the thought of aborting anything hurts and is horrific, but there are sooooooooo many animals out there starving and have nothing but death waiting for them. If you spay ASAP it shouldn't be a problem. As far as the people that think this is cruel way of thinking go volunteer at a shelter for a day. I am a vet tech and some of the crap I see will bring a person to their knees. I am an avid animal lover and would never do anything to harm an animal. Moka good luck. you are making the right choice.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Will a vet even spay if she's pregnant??
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• This just happened over the weekend so you should get both dogs fixed right away.

In my state it is the law that to get a dog from the shelter they have alter the animal before you take it home. This is because even the most well intentioned take to long and this happens.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The vet will spay, it just costs more. They said the vessel are enlarged and it requires more care to keep her from internal bleeding. They said they remove the ovaries so it would not be an issue unless she was further along. I am just torn about my decision.
    MokaMommy

Comment by MokaMommy (original poster) at 2:27 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• yes....please get her spayed....you will be saving many other lives by sacrificing those that aren't developed yet.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:35 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Wait to find out if she is indeed pregnant. I dont think thats fair of you, because you didnt spay these animals in the beginning to take life away from these baby puppies. You have four dogs, do you love these dogs? What if someone would have spayed one of their mothers when she was holding one of your pups? If you are truly a dog lover act like it and take responsibility for your actions. Take the pups to the pound when they are born, I promise they will be given good homes as puppies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• calliesmommie,,,,really, a life that isnt developed yet? And u call yourself a mommy,,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I would wait until you know whether or not she is pregnant. You can always find homes for the puppies and I don't think the guilt is worth getting her spayed now. Just get your male neutered so that if she isn't already pregnant, she can't become pregnant later.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:48 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• yeah you should wait
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:43 AM on Aug. 17, 2010