my sister didn't know she was 9 weeks pregnant and had been using meth,taking hydrocodone&xanax in those weeks if she stops now will the baby be ok?she is worried that her baby will be deformed. will they be ok? adult content

my sister just found out that she is 9weeks pregnant...and in those weeks she was using meth(not a heavy user)taking pain killers and xanax..now she is worrying her self to death about the effects those drugs has had on her her unborn baby in those 9 weeks.. if she stops using now(which she has been) will her baby be ok? she worries about deformities or defects and such...as long as she's clean the rest of her pregnancy her baby should be fine right?anyone been here or have any answers

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• She needs to go to the doctor and be honest with them about what she has used so they know have to preceed. They need to know the truth in case there is a complication or an emergncy. Stopping everything now is the best plan, but stress to her the importance of going to the doctor's and being honest.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:17 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• well, it's a toss up really. There are women who use all through pregnancy and have perfectly healthy babies, others not so lucky. There are tests she can have done at around 13 weeks, that can help detect defects and abnormalities.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 4:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When she sees her OBGYN they will be able to run tests to give you a better idea of what is going on. The first stages of pregnancy are when things are stating to develop. By 9 weeks their organs have already begun to develop . I hope everything works out for your sister and her child.
    HadleyAzure

Answer by HadleyAzure at 4:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• She needs to be completey honest with her doctor. She also needs to stay clean while preggo and after she has this baby she needs to stay clean and not just for the baby to ave a good life but for herself if she stays clean for the baby it may or may not work and she will lose her baby. But right now she needs to get into the doctors and lay it all out on the line so they can keep a good watch on her and the baby.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• She should let her doctor now so he can run the right test. I have a close friend who was a Meth user and she didnt find out she was pregnant till her 5th month and told her doctor, he ran test and did a ultra sound. Everything came back okay and he told her she has to stop or it will hurt the baby. She did and her daughter is now 3 and very healthy.
    Mom-MoMMy-MaMa

Answer by Mom-MoMMy-MaMa at 4:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• its ironic shes worried about her unborn child and not worried about her own self
    i really pray the baby is healthy and hopefully she goes to rehab or something
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 5:13 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's questionable - the first trimester is a very crucial time in the baby's development. She should be seeing a doc immediately and be up front with them about baby's exposure.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 6:29 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Honestly, the baby's probably fine if it's this early. I was doing cocaine and taking Xanax and Vicodin when I found out I was pregnant (I was about 9 or 10 weeks along)... I stopped all immediately, and DD is def a healthy kid. :)
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 6:53 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When she goes to see her doctor she should be honest so that they know up front. She also needs to stop, but I think since it's early on and most women don't find out until around this time anyway the baby should be fine.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:15 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• She needs to let her doctor know what she'd been using. Not to scare you, but there are a lot of critical things being developed in the 7-9 week range. The baby could be fine, but the doctor needs to know what he has been exposed to.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:18 AM on Aug. 17, 2010