Getting my 6 month old to sleep through the night. He wakes up every 3 hours wanting to eat.

mommylynae

Asked by mommylynae at 4:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do u feed him cereal? He is old anuff to have it. my son is almost 7months and he sleeps 10hours a night praise God
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• put ceral in his night time bottle. feed him a little about a half hour before his bedtime, and then the rest before he is ready to go to sleep. feed em about 3 ounces more than you do during the day. hope that helps
    Anonymous

• Use rice cereal in his nighttime bottle, rice is easier on the tummy to digest and to fill up. That should do the trick. Worked like a charm with mine.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• cereal in a bottle is a HUGE HAZARD!!! at 6 months he is most likely going through a growwth spurt, just keep feeding him, it will soon pass.. GL
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Don't put cereal in his bottle. If he's ready for solid foods, he can eat it from a spoon. If you are giving him solids, try giving him the solids a little closer to bedtime in addition to his normal feeding (bottle or nursing, whatever he normally does). If this doesn't help, it is probably just a growth spurt and all you can do is feed him when he is hungry and know that with time, he will indeed sleep through the night. Good luck mama!
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 5:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Try adding a little more water to the milk than normal and do it more each time. Sometimes it is just a habit, that babies wake up to eat even if they arent hungry. The additional water will make it less pleasing and eventually he might not be interested. It works for some babies but not all. Good luck.
    bjsgrl

Answer by bjsgrl at 7:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I would try feeding your baby rice cereal or oatmel cereal. I started my son on that and he is almost 4 months old now. He has been sleeping wonderfully through the night. He will start to stir around 2. If your baby will take a pacifier just put that in his mouth. my son always goes right back to sleep then. I don't suggest putting the cereal in a bottle though. Not a good thing. It makes them more fat and they don't feel as full while eating so they eat more.
    AmandaKay0515

Answer by AmandaKay0515 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• What we started from birth was cluster feeding, so trying moving the last two feedings closer together and also a good bedtime routine might help him sleep more because your baby will begin to learn it's time for sleeping and not waking up every 3 hours to eat like he may do during the daytime. So if he's eating every 3 hours during the day for example if you feed him at 5pm, then feed him again at 7pm, then we also would do a dream feed at 11pm, not waking the baby but picking him up out of the crib and feeding him then laying him back down to sleep, eventually we cut out the cluster feeding but we'll still do the dream feed for another month or so. My daughter is almost 7 months and she sleeps from 8pm, dream feed at 11pm till 7am. Like i said we started this from birth so I'm not sure how it would work attempting to implement it now.
    fisherd

Answer by fisherd at 10:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Sounds like he's hungry. Maybe a growth spurt- He'll let you know-if he's hungry feed him.
    sweetp97024

Answer by sweetp97024 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2008