Best way to get my son off the bottle

I am trying to broke my 18 month old of having a bottle at naptime and bedtime. I tried to use a sippy and he wouldn't fall asleep finally had to get the bottle cause I was ready for him to take a nap. The bottle doesn't really bother me, but I know he is getting to big for it and that it is bad for his teeth. I am thinking I just need a different cup for sleep time. Does anyone have any good ideas for me?

DamiensMommy217

Asked by DamiensMommy217 at 7:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter was the same way and the one day I just took the bottle away cold turkey and when she asked for her bottle I would give her the sippy, it took all but twi days you just have to put up with the crying.
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 7:37 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Throw the bottle away so your not tempted! Thats what I am doing this thursday with my 11 month olds. Its going to be difficult for a little while but its really the only way.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:48 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I took the bottle from my daughter at 12 months. Does he use the sippy during the day? It may be a security for him to want his bottle during nap time. If anything at all just put away all the bottles for good and let him see that there's only sippies to drink from, that since he's growing he needs to drink from the big boy sippies and leave the bottles behind. Also you could let him help you get rid of the bottles, let him put them into a bag and box and say now they're going bye bye to the bottle fairie. And put them away in the garage or somewhere. It usually helps them to understand that it's time to move on the big boy sippies. If he throws a fit, continue to do it, let him know that the bottles are all gone and I'm sorry but just let him fit till he's done. It's not easy but he's gotta learn that he needs to move on and be a big boy and that fits don't get him everything.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My son and niece are 2 now and getting them taken. My son had is this long because the baby came right at the time he should have lost it, so it was a fight I was not going to win a year ago. I am transitioning the baby now, at 10 months to use a cup. I got the Nuby cups with 3 tops to use, first is more close to a nipple, the second is more like a sippy cup and the third looks like a straw. My son can and does drink out of cups, sometimes throws a major fit when he wants a bottle. The last few days during the day I just sit the cup down and walk away from him. After 5 to 10 minutes he stops the fit. But next week when the hubby gets home for 5 days the bottles are gone. Throw them away if you are going to be tempted to give in. Put them in a garbage bag and have him throw them away with you,and if you are keeping them, go back later and get them out and pack them away. My niece had a hard 2 days but the 3 day was better.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I could get my son to drink anything out of a sippy cup, except milk. I wanted to give up the bottle during those times. My MIL actually suggested, having him pick out a special milk cup. We went to the store, I explained to him that he could have ANY cup he wanted, but that was to be his special milk cup. He picked one out and it worked like a charm. After a while, it just became a cup for whatever, but he was off the bottle!
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:30 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• take away the bottle and try about 3 different sippy cups to try
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:48 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• take it away..that what I do at 12mos no more bottles. They start developping a habit after 12mos which is why it gets so hard at 12mos its easy. With my oldest though we did what you did at 12mos he had it at night and bedtime so at 19 mos we just one day took it away. He only had it that late because of when I had his sister though I either took it away before 12mos or a few mos after she was born I chose after.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I did what you did as well only gave her the bottle at bedtime. We just took it away one day. She did cry for it and a couple of days later realize that it was gone for good.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 11:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• At that age, i would take it away cold turkey. Its horrible for his teeth. Especially to sleep with it. Until you can get him off of it atleast out water in it at night so the sugars from the milk or whatever else goes in the bottle arent rotting his teeth :) Has he seen a dentist yet?
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:38 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• its going to take a little bit of sleepless nights maybe like 2 or 3. i tried taking my son out the bottle like three times and ended giving in. so one day i was like its over i knew if i had them there i was going to give in so i trew them all away completly. their was no more left in the haouse so at nap time he wanted his bottle and cried and wouldnt go to sleep he didnt want his sippy cup at thii point he would wake up like 3 times to drink milk during the night and he was already like 1 1/2. so i knew the bottles were in the garbage outside and he didnt have any more so i just stayed there let him cry for a littl ebit told himhis bottlers didnt work anymore and they were inthe garbage. eventually after about 2 days he dranked from his sippy cut ofcourse i was tired but it was worth it. you just first need to find a sippy cup he likes i had to buy many diferent kinds and brands for my son he seemed to not like them
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010