What's going on?

My 3 yr, ( almost 4 yr old) has been an emotional wreck here lately. I don't understand why. I admit I am a strict momma and she has friends that have Mommy's who are not strict at all. I am wondering if I am to hard on her and maybe she has to much pressure. OR is she going thru a phase? I went to the gym last night and she threw a toy at the nursery worker bc she put her in time out. When she is at home with me, she is good, but when she goes to the gym, she is bad. What's up?

1lilgirl

Asked by 1lilgirl at 7:36 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my guess is that she has rules and schedule at home=good thing imo
    in new situation, she does not know rules or has less and she is crossing the line=because she can
    it is her 'job' at that age to express herself and cross the line to see what happens
    yes, it could be because she is tired, hungry, new situation, another child took toy-whatever
    but sounds pretty normal

my three year old is better at daycare than home
    she has two older kids that are not always great examples (they fight like brother and sister 14 and 10)
    at school there is routine, schedule and she does well with that, she knows what is expected

routine and schedule are great for this age
    sounds like you are provided this
    but also ok for her to have less, to express her feeling, even if not socially exceptable-she can learn that way
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:36 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Is she used to going to the play group at the gym or is this something new to her? I was thinking maybe there are too many kids there and it puts her on overload? Is she too tired to go in the evening? Is there enough supervision of the kids at the gym? Just ideas..........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Is she getting enough sleep? The first few things to check when people seem over emotional, is how much sleep they got. If that's not the case, I would wonder if the ladies at the facility are nice to her. It could just be the lady put her in time out for no reason... or that she felt it was an unfair punishment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Could be so many things. Could be things the PP listed. Maybe a phase like you said, testing boundaries. Could be she sees other kids acting like this and is trying it out.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:48 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• She goes to Mother's Morning Out M-W-F and she takes naps. We go to the gym in the am and sometimes in the pm. There is a different lady in the am than the pm, and they both say she has a hard time. It is a VERY small room and there are maybe at most 4 kids in there at a time.
    1lilgirl

Comment by 1lilgirl (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Have u talked to her to see what going on
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:13 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My kids hated the gym for the longest time. I kept trying to take them and it was such a miserable experience I had to stop. Now they are almost 5 and 3.5 and its finally getting easier..but they have days when they complain about it. I think its too many kids in too small of a space - the noise and the uncertainty get to them. They cant tell time yet so they never know how long they have to stay, but they keep seeing the door open as new kids come in and kids leave and they think it could be you every time it opens. Hang in there. Hopefully it will get better over time. As long as the women in the don't mind her having a hard time, keep bringing her. Its so great that you get to the gym and you deserve to have time for you!
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 8:19 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You did not say what you do that is so strict. Why do you think that you are strict.
    Why does she go to the gym everyday or sometimes two times a day?
    Maybe the teacher there is not really trained to deal with little ones.
    Can you observe?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Maybe she is having some seperation anxiety.
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 2:30 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You did not say what you do that is so strict. Why do you think that you are strict.  I'd say I was strict in the fact that she is a good child.  She knows right from wrong and she gets in trouble when she is bad.

Why does she go to the gym everyday or sometimes two times a day? I either go to the gym in the am or pm, depends on the day or the classes I go to. 

Maybe the teacher there is not really trained to deal with little ones.  Can you observe? I do walk by on occasion as I am going to use the restroom and listen in and everything seems fine.

1lilgirl

Comment by 1lilgirl (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010