Do you let your kids play violent video games?

I let my kids play semi violent video games. They don't show any signs of any effects. However, I don't let them play all day long either. Do you let your kids play these type of video games?

mom3cutieboyz

Asked by mom3cutieboyz at 4:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My parents never limited which games my brother and I could play and never limited the amount of time we could play, either.

We both turned out fine. We're happy, healthy adults...not terrorists or evil or weird like some people believe video games cause.

I think the stigma surrounding video games is much worse than the games themselves. They're what you make of them.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Heck no.. I would never even have video games in my house in this day and age. You need to get the kids interested in family activities instead. It doesn't matter if they are semi or full blown violent... Kids are desensitizing themselves to violence and down the line it can only harm them.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• No. When my 10 yr. old son wanted 2 play Grand Theft Auto w/ guns & shooting, I had his dad play it 2 c if it was as bad as I heard it was. It wasn't but we still didn't let him play it bc we don't want ne1 or thing exposing him 2 violence. And we realize that we can't always protect him & can't stop him from being exposed 2 it, but we can let him hear about it from us so that if he's ever in an uncomfortable situation, he'll be better able 2 make the right choice.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Actually the worst I have done on video games is I let him play Halo. His behavior did not change and he doesn't even like the game. I think he has played it a total of three times. *shrugs* He's not interested in anything violent. He just likes to play.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 7:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i LET MY SON PLAY GRAND THEFT AUTO EVERY NOW IN THEN BUT HE DOESNT HAVE VIOLENT BEHAVIOR AND I REMIND HIM THAT THE BEHAVIOR HE SEES ON THE GAMES THAT HE ISNT TO ACT THAT WAY NO PROMBLES OUT OF HIM
    SHANDA253

Answer by SHANDA253 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Review
    The goal of this book is to make people aware of what the prolific use of violence in television, movies, and video games is doing to our children. Teaching Our Kids to Kill calls to the table the makers of this violence to address the myriad scientific research on the subject--research that couldn't make it clearer how solid and deadly the link is between this kind of graphic imagery and the escalating incidences of youth violence--and understand and change what they are doing and the dangerous effects their products are having on our children.

cont..
    Lt. Col. Dave Grossman---author

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 1:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Using this book, parents, educators, social service workers, youth advocates, and anyone interested in the welfare of our children will have a solid foundation for effective action. We give you the facts--what's behind the statistics, how to interpret the copious, empirical research that exists on the subject, and the many ways to make a difference in your own home, at school, in your community, in the courts, and in the larger world--so that we all can work together to help end this problem and create a safer environment in which to live. If by doing this we can prevent future Paducahs, Jonesboros, and Littletons, it will be well worth it.

This man has written several excellent books
    Ronnie80

• The above book is called, "Stop Teaching Our Kids to Kill." If you are at all concerned--read the book. My youngest read two others by this man---both of those were about killing in combat and how it affects people. He said they were excellent. He was planning on getting this one before he headed to bootcamp. I know I wouldn't want the stuff in my home if my kids were under 15. Fortunately, we never had an x-box until my boys were both over 16 and they bought it.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 2:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Absolutely not. We haven't progressed passed the Leapster and VSmile, yet.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My kids aren't old enough to play these games yet, BUT their dad plays them all the time. He plays them while they are around, and it doesn't seem to effect them any.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2008