Looking is still overall harmless. Babies are cute and its ok to acknowledge that, but at some point its socially unacceptable to as the person gets older. Where's that line?

Is it just that it makes people uncomfortable or that its actually something bad to openly acknowledge someone is just an attractive human being. A person can't control what they notice or what catches their eyes, let alone what they are thinking and keeping to themselves.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess for me it's the way the person looks or how they say what they say. We've all come in contact with people who are just creepy. Most are harmless but creepy nonetheless. There's no official "cut off" per se. Just a line between an appropriate look or comment and one that's off base.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I like the phrase "cute as a bug." I have heard/used this before. It is hard to find it offensive, especially when it is delivered via drawling southern accent!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When we were at a blues festival, and my five year old daughter ( a lot of years ago ), some forty year old creep said she was sexy.

too sexy for her own good, if memory serves.

that crossed the line.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:53 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think it depends on their meaning.. Saying a child is adorable is acceptable.. Someone saying your 16 year old daughter is turning into a beautiful young woman is acceptable --- BUT ---- someone saying "dang your 16 yo is HOT" not acceptable!

As long as they mean it in a respectful, proper manner then i dont see a problem in it.. But when they give you that "mmm wow shes growing up well now isnt she" (throws up in my mouth) ... then its unacceptable..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• For me, it all depends on the words people use. I don't mind friends and family complimenting my children on their looks or whatever. If a stranger says something about my children, it will all depend on the words they use. At the post office once DD was smiling and hiding from the man in line behind me. He kept smiling at her and it was a little game of sorts. She is 4 but is tall and looks like she could be and older 5 y.o. I asked her quietly if she was flirting (teasing her) and he apparently heard me and said 'yes, she is. She is a little vixen, isn't she?' Sorry, but don't use words like Vixen for a 4 y.o. That's friggen creepy. These things have happened a couple of times and they creep me out. If someone says 'her eyes are so pretty' or 'your DD is beautiful', I simply say thank you because it's just a compliment.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• As to WHEN specifically it's acceptable for an older person to notice that a 16 y.o. is becoming a hottie? I don't know. I think even if my DD were 25 and a hottie I would be creeped out if a 50 y.o. man said as much in front of me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• IDK about the rest of the ladies out there, but I don't find the twilight guys as anything to scream about. They look more like boys than men. But that's just me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Are you saying that as a child grows older, when does it become unacceptable to look at them? I'm not quite sure what you are getting at.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Do you mean that it's ok to stare at say a baby because the baby is cute but it's not ok to stare at an adult because it makes everyone uncomfortable?
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:54 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• ya basically to both. Its ok to look at a baby and say openly how cute it is, but if you look at a 16 your old and say they are cute, you get raised eyebrows...where's the line where you aren't supposed to say anything but keep it to yourself? or pretend to be indifferent?
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2010