SCHOOLS REQUIRE PARENTS SUPPY TOILET PAPER, BLEACH, ETC.

Ijust heard some schools are requiring parents to send toilet paper, beach, handi wipes, and these kind of supplies. These are above the usual school supplies due to schools being low on their budget? What about the parents who can't afford these extras what do they do? It's sad this is is happening because some parents just can't afford it, but yet, some schools are low on funds? What are your thoughts?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 8:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Education should be one of our top priorities. It is such a shame schools have to pinch pennies for such things. I don't mind buying things to help out, but I shouldn't have to. We should be investing in our children. We are so screwed up as a nation, when we think it's OK to give the rich a tax break, and schools can't afford toilet paper. They should take the billions of dollars that they will make when the rich tax cuts expires and invest in our children. We are falling way behind in education compared to the rest of the world.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Our school has the kids collect box tops. Our school received $600 last year. But it's sad that they have to ask parents for that stuff when we pay out the butt in taxes.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:09 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• OK, I see no problems with them asking for extra supplies, tissue, wipes or sanitizer, but to ask for TP and bleach is crazy. I know a lot of school districts are having a hard time, simply because school levies aren't getting passed. To ask for those things, is asking too much. They can and still should supply those things.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• They can't 'require' you to send anything. What... are they going to refuse your child entry because he didn't bring some White Cloud in his bookbag? lol. We pay taxes and that should BE enough to pay for necessities, building upkeep, teacher salary and so on- maybe some schools can't budget correctly and THAT'S the problem.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:18 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• All I have to say, is that your child (unlike most of the worlds population), has the luxury of an education- hell, it's law! And it's free at that... Our nation is seriously screwed, and the schools need HELP.
    I'll gladly do my part, rather than take for granted the fact that my children, by law, are entitled to their education.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Teachers have been having to dip into their own pockets for years, I don't think there's anything wrong with asking parents to help out, its their children and their who are going to be using them!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Last year, my son's school had Ziploc baggies (gallon & quart size), dry erase markers, regular black & red markers, copier paper, paper towels, Lysol sanitizer, hand sanitizer and several other items that were not "kid items". However, I sent them all in. I figure if my child needs them, and the school cannot supply them, then I should.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• they can't require it. Good luck enforcing that on people. I agree if they need our help, then teh school district's budget needs to be looked at
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have to send tissue, wipes...etc. Our school district hasn't past a levy in years. We've had school board members convicted of numerous felonies and the State has considered taking us over. Just hired a new superintendent and they are paying him ungodly amounts of money. It is sickening. They have misappropriated so much of our tax dollars and expect us to keep forking it over. My kids can't even bring their text books home, they only have a copy in the classrooms.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:26 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Even with added tax hikes ours is requiring the same things and I feel that hey need to learn to budget and tightne their belts some like everyone else has to.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2010