Infants on Planes

Has anyone flown with an infant? I will be flying with my 7 month old. I have never flown with and infant and was wondering what to expect. What are some of the regulation of the airlines? What about carseats? I know they charge for everything too. Do you pay for a seat? What are some good things to bring/do?

Ibulili

Asked by Ibulili at 8:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're flying with the infant in the car seat, you will have to pay for a seat. But if you're going to check the car seat at the gate or the counter, and fly with the infant in your lap, you won't be charged. I don't think they charge for children until they hit 3. Definitely feed your baby on the way up and down, if your baby will eat. The sucking helps equalize the pressure in the ears. Good luck!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You can put your infant on your lap. It will cost to check the carseat, it cost me $25 (Delta.) Bring a bottle or plan on BFing (be prepared to fight off ignorant people if BFing) because it will be comforting to the baby. If your baby has a lovey take it, if you have a layover get a big blanket that you can lay on the floor for the baby to roll around or crawl on. Have lots of patience, baby can feel if your getting irritated and don't let rude people get to you. Good luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• if you plan on taking the carseat on the plane and strapping your baby into the seat, you'll have to buy a seat. I just checked the carseat with the luggage and let my baby sit on my lap. (My thinking was that if the plane crashes, the carseat isn't gonna help much KWIM)

but really, it's no more complicated than taking an hour or two car trip.

as for security, check with the airport different ones seem to have different rules. One let me take my premade bottles of formula, while another wouldn't let liquids through. Snacks are OK though.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I didn't but my friend did and she said she had to pay for an extra seat and the baby had to be in a car seat. I have heard that it's good to bring something for them to suck on (paci if they use one) during take off and landing so that their ears will pop. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/10324/how_to_survive_flying_with_your_infant.html?cat=25

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:53 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I flew across the country with my 6 month old and it was easy breezy. I wore him in a wrap. I didnt have to take him off of me, but I did have to let them pat me down at security. I had no problems getting his food or milk through. I checked my car seat (bad idea I know now!) and didnt have to pay for it. Check with your airline and see what their recommendations are but I didnt have any trouble, it was almost as easy as flying by myself. Just make sure you change him right before boarding! The changing table, if there is one, in the plane latrine is not the most comfortable to work with...
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Call your specific airline and ask about details. One idea that my family members do is buy some inexpensive little toys, that do not make noise, and have them in a carryon for use in the plane only. The children do not know about these so they are surprised with something new. The toys are brought out only when boredom sets in and one at a time. If they all don't get used that's OK, so there are some for the return trip too. Then they get put back in the carryon until the trip home. Have plenty of handi wipes too so you can keep little hands clean and hopefully avoid getting a cold, etc. Just ideas our family members use. Have fun!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree with Auqa Jen Check with your airline and see what their recommendations
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I like Auqa Jen's idea too, well to wear your baby instead.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:27 AM on Aug. 17, 2010