Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


My daughter is almost 5 years old and I am having such a hard time handling her. This isn't just starting either, it's been going on for a few years now and I am getting to the point where I can barely control her anymore. She has a very short attention span, when we are doing letters,colors, numbers and such. We were practicing and I kept going over the SAME letter 6 times and she still couldn't get the letter correct. How do we do an ADHD testing?

It also runs in her fathers side of the family. Thanks in advance!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (5)
  • Talk to your pediatrician to get the ball rolling. She'll need a psych eval.

    Answer by SWasson at 8:54 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • Not all pediatricians will send you to a psych eval, which I think is just wrong. Many will diagnos themselves and just prescribe medications. If your pediatrician tries to diagnose her without an eval, please request one. At her age, a developmental doctor would be best. Also, I recommend behavior therapy. If medication is needed, fine, I have no problems with meds either, but behavior therapy can help a lot as well.

    Answer by layh41407 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • talk to the doctor about your concerns and ask them if she can be tested .

    Answer by britme1027 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • Sorry to hear about your daughter. My son has ADHD and I had to take him to a mental health facility to get diagnosed. They go by what problems the child is having and their behavior,there isnt like a blood test to take or anything like that. I found out my child had it and has OCD. The hyperactive part of have the ADHD went away,he grew out of it,he is now 15 but the attention decifet part of it is still there. There are meds they can put your child on but you have to out weigh the good and the bad side of it. My son was on adderal for a while but lost a great deal of weight and then he was put on the concerta and the mood he had being on these drugs just were not worth it and everyone is different so you just have to talk it over with the doctor to see what is best for your child and if you notice side effects that are bothering your child and your not comfortable with then go to plan b! Good luck i know its not easy. Hope

    Answer by blueangel0205 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Have you considered a gluten free, dairy free diet? Also, read the children's health study at good info and stats about nutrition and ADHD. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like more info and resources. I worked in Special Ed for 11 years.

    Answer by wellnessgirl at 1:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.