Keeping my dog out of the garbage?

Usually when we leave the house, I put a baby gate up in the doorway of my pantry where I keep my garbage can. But, sometimes if I'm in a hurry or super busy I forget. And it never fails, my lab gets into the trash, and I come home to a trash explosion all over my kitchen. He occasionally does this after we've gone to bed too. Does anyone know of any good ways to deter him from the garbage can? I can't put it in a cupboard, the only one I have in my kitchen is under the sink, and too small. I'm also a bit of an airhead sometimes, so I may or may not remember to grab the garbage and take it out before I leave. I'm thinking sprays or behavior management here. Thanks!

Eviesmommy

Asked by Eviesmommy at 8:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pets

• i found this for u ..

Look through your stash of household cleaners and get the ammonia out. Dogs have a keen sense of smell, so they think, "Hmmm, they smell like garbage, and so there must be something to eat in there. Dig in fellas." Knock that good smell out of there. Sprinkle full strength ammonia over the trash and dogs won't go near it. Getting a little whiff of ammonia is not as mean as letting a dog get sick because he ate rotting food full of bacteria.

2
    Place mouse traps on top of the shorter indoor trash can lids. One snap and the dog won't go near the trash again. Or at the very least, move the trash can to a place a dog can't get to it, like behind a child proofed latched cupboard.

3
    Purchase an animal-proof container if all else fails. They range in price from $100 to $200. You can find these "critter cans" online.

san78

Answer by san78 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Pour a splash of bleach into the garbage can. No animal will go near it (this keeps wild animals out of outdoor garbage cans too).
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i would like to know this also...we 2 doors to enter before you get in the house and we usually have to put the garbage between them in the porch so she can't get at it!..
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 9:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have a friend that uses an office mat (cut down to size and placed upside down)to keep her pets from getting on the couches at night. The bottom of the mat has these spike type things that grip into the carpet to prevent it from moving. Well pets seem to hate them when the step on them since their paw pads are sensitive. I would find a nice size mat that will fit the entrance of the pantry and place it upside down. Hopefully it will work. Also kitty litter mats also have the spikes on them too.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• As for at night, keep your dog in your bedroom and close the door. Ours go in our room every night, sleep on the floor at the foot of our bed and don't get up until morning.... Its been the same routine for years so at night after our last walk they go straight to our room. Your dog can't get into anything if he's with his master, you.... As for during the day when you're gone, the mat thing sounds like a good idea. Or make sure you throw any food stuff in the outdoor trash, he then won't have anything to attract him. Ours just don't bother ours, it does have a lid but it's not tight...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:26 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• yup that bleach will do it...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have a "Simple Human" trashcan, never had a dog be able to get into it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:02 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We always just sprayed some vinegar in the trash can. Lemon juice will work too.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:41 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The last time my lab did this, the trash can "attacked" him. I put the empty can over his head & smacked the side of the can a few times. He has never done it since.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:02 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Nothing works for a labrador. They will eat bleach to eat the trash. They will end up at the vet if you try these tricks.

Move the trash out to the garage or the porch. Put a mini can under the sink. Put a child proof thingy on the cabinet under the sink, which he may be able to overcome.

Nothing stops a lab from eating. They are just doing what dogs do.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010