Pregnant and nasty discharge. *TMI* adult content

This morning when I woke up and went to the bathroom I had a ton of this really light brown discharge come off on the toilet paper. This happened to me last week and I went in to get checked out. I didn't get any answers about my discharge because the fact that I found out I was having TWINS kind of overshadowed it and none of my questions were answered lol. Well now here it is again and it is so nasty! I don't know if I should be concerned or just consider it something gross my body is going through in adjusting to the pregnancy. It's too early to call my doc and I was just wondering if anyone else hs experienced this. I've had 2 previous pregnancies before this one but this is a first for me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When I was about 6wks preggo with DS, I had an almost normal period. The difference was that it was brownish in color (like you're describing) and more mucous like.. (sorry.. tmi I know.. but I'm trying to help! lol) Didn't know I was preggo at the time but everything ended up just fine. I'm sure everything is normal.
    As far as what blood to be worried about, I know bright red is a warning sign IF there's more than a few light spots here and there. I remember asking about that when preggo with DS and my dr said that some bright red spotting is normal after sex and as baby grows in the first trimester. There are tons of little blood vessels in your vagina and cervix. Sex (with and without penetration since there are vessels in the clitoral area too) and also the stretching of all the muscles can cause some of those vessels to break. No big deal.
    Hang in there and try not to stress about it. Just wait to hear back from your dr
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 1:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• In general old (brown, etc) looking blood isn't too big a deal. It's fresh (red) that's concerning. I'm not sure what to tell you about 8 weeks, as I recall it's around 9-10 weeks that the body changes from the corpus luteum producing the progesterone to the placenta being mature enough to take over the job. It's common to have a little bit of spotting when that happens.

If it's brown, and it's not much, I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but definitely talk to your doctor if you're worried.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:28 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If i remember correctly its pretty normal and i had the same thing.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 9:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I didn't have this problem, but I would guess that discharge is normal. Still, if it's on your mind, definitely give your doc's office a call when they open. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• How far along are you?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:15 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am only 8 weeks. I called my Dr. office but haven't received a call back yet
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I had that at 13 weeks with this pregnancy and we are now doing great at 25w3d.

It sounds like old blood, but you may want to call the office and at least let them know this is going on.

I know I miscarried two times at 8w4d and it was always bright red, BUT my OB did tell me that is about the time that your ovaries start to transition the hormone production to your placenta and that by 12 weeks the placenta is 100% in charge so maybe it has to do with your corpus luteum. My friend also told me that her doctor told her brown discharge/ brown spotting was common at the end of the second or third month.

I wouldn't worry too much unless the blood is bright red or accompanied by cramping or severe back pain that cannot be relieved by changing position.

But again like I said it is probably best to call the doctors office and at least speak with a nurse.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2010