are you happy now?

After weeks of heated debate over plans for an Islamic community center near Ground Zero - the site of the 9/11 attacks on New York - it seems Muslim leaders will soon back down, agreeing to move to a new site.

The decision follows a high-profile campaign against the project that included advertisements on New York buses showing images of the burning Twin Towers, an iconic landmark razed when al-Qaida terrorists flew packed passenger planes into them in 2001. The New York Republican party is also said to be planning a hostile television campaign.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I still can't figure out how people link a mosque to the terrorist. That's like saying all catholics are pedophiles, all and I mean all Christians are abortion clinic bombing terrorists. Terrorism is done in the name of all religions around the world. To link the religion with the terrorist act of few is so closed minded. There are over a billion Muslims in the world. This was a handful of nut jobs. We are suppose to be the country you can come to, to practice any religion you want. HYPOCRITES

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Agreeing to move to a new site is the best decision for everyone.

Answer by older at 9:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:13 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think that this one ACTION will go further to create some goodwill then a whole lot of WORDS would. I think that it's not religious zealots that are opposed to this and if thats what you think you arent LISTENING. I think that this will show the Extreme Muslim terrorists that they dont have a "win" while creating good will for those Muslims that only with to peaceably practice their religion.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• This is so sad. I can't believe the misconceptions about Muslims in this country. And this COMMUNITY CENTER was going to try and put some of them to rest.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• while creating good will for those Muslims that only with to peaceably practice their religion.
    ___________________________
    Yes, and they can continue to create more "good will" if they always do what they are told, right? Just think of how benevolent people will feel towards American Muslims if they just get out of the country, or maybe are restricted to certain areas...or maybe they can wear a symbol showing they are Muslim and disallowed from mixing with "regular people." You know what, lets just build a camp for them. Then we can show our goodwill by guarding it with soldiers...just in case there are any terrorists mixed in there. They can work for their food and lodging. Yes, that is the answer.
    *obvious sarcasm, I hope*
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's a "Win" for extremists that we are willing to hypocritically stand against freedom of religion. This argument is so clear cut for me I don't understand what all the fuss is about and I live in NYC!! American Muslims working in the World Trade Center died alongside their fellow coworkers. Do their families--American citizens!!!--not deserve a place nearby to honor their memories? They have nothing to do with the Muslim extremists responsible for 9/11!! It's ridiculous.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I feel satisfied..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:34 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If these ^^^^ people don't represent you, then you need to cough them up and spit them out. You need to free your faith.

Just like all you evil Christians need to stop torturing all those poor children in Africa and accusing them of witchcraft. Oh wait, that's different -the extremists don't represent everyone or need constant denouncing when it's YOUR religion, only when it's a religion you don't like.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• do you believe that 68% of Americans are bigoted rednecks

I believe a large chunk of them are religious bigots, and the rest of them are like all the other people in NY from the first poll taken on the subject - they haven't been paying any attention at all, but their initial response to the buzzwords "mosque" and "ground zero" get them to say no, and if they actually educate themselves about the facts - community center NOT at ground zero, they reverse that initial response and say it's not a bad thing. I would really like to know what percentage of that 68% actually know the building in question is not a mosque, that it's not being built at ground zero, and that it's not opening on 9/11
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:16 AM on Aug. 17, 2010