Rejected because I wouldn't abort?

I applied to be a surrogate mom. I had to fill out a very in depth application. In the application it asks if the couple I am carrying for decided to abort the pregnancy due to a health issue like downs syndrome or any other serious medical condition, would I? I replied absolutely not. If I am carrying a child, it is not my place to abort it and that I would keep it if the "parents" didn't want it anymore. I also said I would only if the life of the baby and myself were at risk. I was told they do not have any famililies that share my opinions on abortion. WTF? So basically, you are saying they only want a perfect baby? Insane!

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 9:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Health

• alot of people are like that and its crazy
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• wow - can't believe they'd turn you down for that! Crazy!
    Hausermom

Answer by Hausermom at 9:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• That is crazy! I can't beleive the ignorance of some people.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• that is rediculous! any ways theres not such thing as a perfect baby. they are ALL perfect. how can people be so ignorant. thats very sad
    Charisma88

Answer by Charisma88 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• welcome to reality, hon! people always want what they can't have, or what they are incapable of having..that's why they need surrogates..and when they are using another avenue to have their baby, they require/demand/insist that everything be 100% 'perfect'. makes you wonder what that kind of parent will do the first time their baby screws up at something like learning to walk, or spitting food out onto a stranger in public. the horrors! people are afraid of what they don't know..no one is truly prepared for a SNs child. in a way, you can't fault the would be-parents from desiring a 'perfect' baby..no one wants less than perfect. but on the other hand, it(being turned down) lets you know just how indept this process of surrogate-pregnancy can be. very scrutinizing. it may even cause you to rethink participation.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I wonder if its the families or the clinics stance. I bet it was the part about keeping it yourself that got you booted. They probably think that you are already showing attachment thus would struggle handing over any baby, healthy or otherwise.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I remember that question. You have to remember that many of the families who want surrogants are very wealthy and have images to keep up. So a perfect child is not an option. Its sucks but that's life. Good for you for saying no. Makes me wonder what kind of life a child born into there families would have if they were anything less than
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• While its wonderful that your willing to do this for a couple you need to stay true to yourself. You wouldn't want someone raising your child that had such different moral values than you do anyway.
    t_lawson

Answer by t_lawson at 9:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2010