• In the Spotlight:

HAVE YOU TAUGHT OR TRIED TO TEACH YOU GIRLS OR GR-CHD TO SEW, CROCHET OR KNIT?

I tried to teach both my girls to sew and crochet. My oldest doesn't seem really interested, but I keep trying to at least get her to learn to mend things. My youngest did learned to crochet. She was left handed and it looked so different from mine being right handed, but just as pretty. I never got her to sew though. I never learned to knit, just couldn't handle 2 needles.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Yes, my kids are highly interested and inclined (my boys as well- they need to know how to sew just as much as any girl). My DD can't pick up on the YO, so she still has yet to crochet correctly, but my middle son can.

BTW, if you crochet L handed correctly, it does not look any different than R handed... If she learned to crochet L handed, backwards (which is how almost all righties teach lefties), that would account for the different appearance.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Nope, I don't even know how to do all that stuff myself!! My mom tried to teach my daughter once but she wasn't interested at all.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 9:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Not only our Daughter but the boys also. BTW she also knows how to do a complete tune up on her car.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yep. Both my girls knit, and one of them just started a counted cross stitch sampler.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I wish there was someone around that knew that stuff so they could teach me, so that one day i can teach my kid!
    Ive tried to teach myself to crochet & cant do it (im left handed as well)
    I have a sewing machine & have made a simple bag, but i know there is so much i dont know!
    I think these types of crafts are priceless to know..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I crochet my mom taught me when I was 9 it is fun. it is also a nice thing to learn
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My grandmother taught me how to knit, a friend taught me how to crochet, and I have some basic sewing skills.

My mom taught my daughter how to knit and she loves it.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Well my daughter is 20 months so no and I would have to teach myself first lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My 4 yo watches me sew and make hairbows and she already told me she wants her own sewing machine for Christmas lol
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Well the thing is, I didn't teach the lefty to crochet, she just kind of picked it up on her own. But it is very pretty.
    MyAngel003

Comment by MyAngel003 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010