Have you taught your DD or GR-DD to cook?

I did teach them to cook some, and my Gr-DD a little. But my oldest DD has just picked up a lot on her own as we all do. My other DD did some cooking, but did just what she had to, she didn't seem a whole into it, she was only 20.My GR-DD is 12 and just really getting into liking to cook a few things with her Mother right now.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• My DD s only 4 1/2, so she doesn't cook yet. She does help get stuff needed(pots, bowls, spices, etc.) I haven't let her get eggs yet because when I was about her age, I dropped an entire carton of eggs on the floor, I ended up not wanting to get more than one egg out at a time for a few years(and no my Mom did not go overboard; upset yes, overboard no) and I don't want her to feel that. She loves the packages that have pictures of what you need, she can 'read' those pretty well. She has a solid wooden step stool that has a larger top step, so she watches cook on the stove, presses the buttons on the microwave, helps set cookie dough on the baking sheet and helps mix some small things. As she gets older, we will let her do more. DS, we will do the same, but know he is 2 1/2 and is not interested when we are cooking.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 1:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• No but I taught my grandsons how to sew and cook. I think it's important that males know how to do those things as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My mother and grandmother taught me and my dd's (2,1) love to 'help' mommy cook too! Its very important to me that they know how.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:00 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I love to cook with my grandchildren. They can do everything. If we let them and supervise them.
    Sometimes I want to just take and do it myself and then I look in their eyes and see their enjoyment and pride.
    It is great.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We cook meals as a family. My SO, my DD & DSs all enjoy preparing meals... I'm curious why you keep asking about teaching GIRLS things. Don't men need to know how to cook, clean, sew a button on?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When they start asking to do the cooking I let them start helping. ~Start~ with cookies, Mac*n* cheese, cakes, brownies, other pasta dishes. Oh and crasants, and bagels, stuff like that, My 11 year old is learning eggs next(by request)
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:02 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• They started when they were two.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I've taught both my dd and my ds to cook. I love to cook, generally speaking (lol, there are days I just don't feel like doing it though...)

I started out when they were little, with them helping me in the kitchen, counting as I measured stuff, etc (btw - this is a really great way to teach / reinforce math - fractions, how to double and triple recipes, etc...). Then it progressed to them getting to help cut stuff up, etc.

Now they're both teenagers and are able to make many things by themselves. My ds can take or leave doing it, but he can (which is good, because after all, he's going to be out on his own soon and will need to be able to feed himself.) My dd really enjoys it. In fact, I've been pretty sick / ordered to not do any physical stuff by my Dr for the past couple of weeks, and she's done most of the cooking - even meals like pot roast, a cake "from scratch" and stuff like that. (She's 16 yrs old.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:11 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My daughter LOVED cooking and baking when she was growing up. I couldn't have a cooking show on tv without her wanting to bake the same thing. I let my kids (both boy and girl) take a night and cook dinner (when they were old enough). They were nervous to see if the rest of us liked it. Such great memories! Cooking class makes great birthday party idea or Girls Scout class! Some kids cookbooks  http://astore.amazon.com/cjkidzfunactivities-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=44  (also makes a unique birthday gift).

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:13 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• my sister and I taught my brothers how to cook and I will definitely be teaching my children to cook once they are old enough...
    I got my 1 yr old niece to help me bake cookies a couple months ago... she poured in the chocolate chips and did some of the stirring :) so cute!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010