cold sores....

I havent had a cold sore for like 5 years! I woke up with a HUGH one on sunday and nothing in my life has changed! i have no idea why it came out! just looking for how to get rid of it FAST! i read last night to put apple cider vinegar on it every hour for one day and buy morning it will be almost gone...ever heard of that?

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 9:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Health

• I call my doc and ask for a script for Zovorax or Acyclovere (sp) A couple pills and it dries up in a day! Also, if you take L-Lysene at the drug store, it helps to never get them.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:53 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I've never heard of the vinegar treatment. I use Abreva, and it seems to make them go away pretty quickly. Cold sores suck, I'm sorry!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Toothpaste works really well.  It dries out the cold sore.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's caused be a virus. If you can go to the doctor, or even just call your doc's office, they can prescribe an anti-viral that will make it go away ASAP.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• by*
    momjoy1027

• The vinegar works on infection, which a "Cold Sore" is not. It is Herpes, which is viral. Steroids are the quickest way to knock down the outbreak- 'Abreva' works well.
    My ex-husband gets them, and so does my youngest son- his dad gifted him with the virus when they lived together. After 8 years with the man, I still do not have them. You MUST NEVER share tooth brushes, cups, utensils (forks, spoons), chapstick, or any other personal hygiene product. Especially if you have an active outbreak.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i never had one in all my life until last year. I only got them twice so i am thinking something was totally awry with my body. wet a tea bag if you don't have something like abreva, or until you can get some. it helps take down the swelling. but i keep abreva on hand now just in case.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Apple cider vinegar works, toothpaste works too. Also a vitamin called L-Lisine works awesome. Take it 3 times a day while the cold sore is present, then when it's gone take it once or twice a day to keep them from coming back. Increasing your vitamin-C intake helps it as well. I've been struggling with them for a while and those are the methods that I found work best. GL
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I wash mine with antibacterial soap in the shower (yeah, it tastes nasty, but it works). And also use glyoxide.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am sorry to tell you this but once you get that tickle/tingly feeling on your lip a cold sore is about to bloom...lol well first sign of those tingles n tickles right away put some Abreva(this works best) Carmax or Lysine(and so does this one) and wash that sore every chance you get and keep applying this med and that would be the quickest it could heal it will take time so you are stuck with it for now. I'd say a week or so. Don't worry yes they r ugly but hey everyone gets them. I remember in school teenage years anytime someone had a sore they would automatically say oh you must have gotten a hold of some bad dick/pussy I was like WTF? GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 17, 2010