Question for Christians

First let me say that I do not mean this to be offensive at all, I just want honest opinions because of a discussion I had with my mother this morning.

Do you believe because if you're right you go to heaven, but if you're wrong it doesn't really matter? Or because of something else, like you were raised Christian, or it's expected of you? Or is it something that you truly believe in with your mind, heart and soul and just feels perfect for you?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:54 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe everyone goes to heaven, that no one is really "wrong", as we all have different perceptions of the veiled Reality that is God. All of our beliefs are true, for us, and the good they cause within us, the spiritual cultivation they help us to pursue, the connection they give us to the Divine, make them all valid, even if they may not be the "absolute truth". It says in the Bible to meet people where they are and be what we need them to be, and I believe God does the same thing - meets people where they are and is to them whatever they need him to be in order to understand Him and have a relationship with Him, however that may be.

Although if I am wrong and there is no heaven I do believe it doesn't really matter. I will have lived my life with love and compassion, in a way that I feel is right, and even without the idea of God or heaven I would still follow the same principles in the way I live my life. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I was not raised a Christian, or of any faith, so I never had the fear of Hell or the promise of Heaven on my mind. I was invited to church with my college boyfriend's family on several occasions. I went, and it was like something washed over me. I just knew I was a happier and more confident person after establishing a relationship with God. All these years later, I feel very close with God. I look back on the time when I didn't know Him, and it seems like another lifetime, like the Dark Ages. Just my experience ;-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I believe because I have experienced God in my life... I've seen his work, felt his peace, trusted his ways... I believe not because I think it will get me to heaven or because someone else told me I should but because of personally experiencing God in my life every day.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I was raised in the church, yes, but I believe because the Holy Spirit has convicted my heart and given me faith. I continue to embrace my faith and grow because I have experienced God on a very personal level which has served to ground my faith and make it stronger. I don't believe because of my own strength. I don't believe because of feeling. I don't believe "just in case." I believe because God is real and has revealed Himself to me through His Spirit.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Twenty years ago I would have said it was because I was programmed as a child to believe what I was forced to believe. Then I went out and studied all other religions, philosophies and beliefs that I had an interest in. Afterward I came back to Christianity on my own. I do believe my spirit will live on in another plane I choose to call Heaven after my physical body dies.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• can you rephrase your first question? i'm not sure what you're asking.
    i was raised xtian, and like all parents who are convinced/devout in their chosen religion(or lack of due to choice), expect me to continue.
    and yes, i do know who/what i believe. it varies from my parents, as it varies from other xtians. the basics are the same..but no two snowflakes are alike.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i think i became most chirstian after my mom died because who likes thinking you wont get to see your family again? so its more for the promise of heaven for me i suppose. also i just believe treating people appropriatly and right is a must
    Charisma88

Answer by Charisma88 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i won't lie..they sure preach hell/damnation in the baptist church! lol! but i can't ever remember feeling scared or worried that it would happen to ME, because i've just never felt anything i did was that against God. the promise of Heaven (after death) isn't a reason to believe, either. in fact, as a child being raised in the xtian church, it wasn't even a factor. it just was a for-sure thing. something i took for granted would happen, after death. again, some baptist churches teach that you can lose your 'salvation' and that your 'heavenly reward' isn't a guarantee..which as a young person, under the watchful eye of parents/authority/school/etc, might make you more apt to worry about missteps. but as with all people, as i matured and realized no one is perfect, and we all fail at various things, its my faith that reassures me of His grace, given to me long ago, and that i will still get to Heaven.
    KWIM?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Everyone goes to Heaven It dose not matter if you believe in Jesus or not.
    My Husband is Native American.
    Jesus is not part of there lives and yet they believe in some sort of heaven.
    I am a Christan United Methodist to be exact. And Yeh I get it. But I dont worry about it.
    I know Jesus Died on the Cross for my sins so I could be forgiven and live a better life because of what he did.
    I want Jesus in my life.
    But I dont think anyone should tell anyone how to workshop. In America, Canada or Any were else.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i was raised in a very strict Christian household, so when i got free i tried not to be a Christian. i didnt want anything to do w/ it! but i was at a Christian university so i was forced to take Bible classes & go to chapel so i still had to deal w/ Christianity. when i finally graduated and started my own life i tried out every faith i could find. but time after time nothing fit so i went back to Christianity, but on my own terms and w/ my own interpretations.

there is no fear of Hell or belief only for Heaven for me. i feel God, i see God in every day life. no matter what i do i cant deny that. and since ive accepted what i can/can not accept from mainstream Christianity and no long feel like i have to believe in someone else's view of Christ, i feel free in my faith.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010