Computer time limits? How long?

How long do you let your tweens play on the computer or video games? Do they have to do anything special to earn screen time?

mjjn

Asked by mjjn at 9:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son has no limits, nor does he have to earn time exactly. He isn't one to zone out and he does do other things like go outside and do chores I ask and read books and do homework without any prompting or coercion from me, therefore, I allow him on as much or as long as he wants. He actually does research things and is learning coding and programming on the computer, so, I encourage as much as possible.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My kids don't have limits either. As long as no one is arguing over the computer and everyone is getting their other stuff done, I don't see a point.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:11 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We don't allow the computer or game system to be on during dinner or breakfast. Homework is to be finished before game time. Other than that, as long as chores are finished and there is no arguing, we don't have time limits.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:13 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Our boys have 30 minutes at a time... There's 3 of them so they have to have a time limit or the others won't get any time. They also have to do chores, make beds,etc before they can have any time on it. It's in our front room, and our house has an open floor plan so I can see them while they're on. I won't let them alone on it,and when our 14 yr old is home by himself he's not allowed on it. We have a monitering system so it tells us when he's on. It sends a message to our email when he goes online. It's also password protected so I have to put it in before he can even access the computer.We are active parents, and aren't going to raise children who think they are entitled to everything... In life you have to earn your way, and they will learn that first hand from us...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I only have one tween, but I have a teenager and a 5 yr old too. My teenager uses his cell phone most of the time, but the tween and 5 yr old play games on the computer. They get 30 minutes at one sitting unless they are watching a movie or show they both like. They do get to earn things for use on games like for instance my tween plays a game online that requires a game card once a month. He gets $10 a week allowance for his chores and being good so I guess thats a form of a reward for computer time. My 5 yr old gets $5 a week, and my teenager gets $20.

Answer by gemgem at 10:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• They are allowed an hour, and their room has to be clean or they don't get to use it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Everyone get's about 2 hours a day and that is when I am home.
    That is who is 8 and better the younger once only get about 30 minutes.
    Daddy on the other hand he dose not care.
    If they are still playing by bed time I rip the power plug out or flip the circuit breaker and Good Night and Go to bed.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My boys, ages 8 & 10, get one hour of computer, and one hour of TV each day. They need to first complete their morning chores (get dressed, pick up room, brush teeth etc.). During the school year they need to finish their school work first (we homeschool). They can also get computer/tv time taken away for bad behavior.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have limits set on how early or late he can use the computer, but no limits on how long. he only does educational stuff though
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't give a spesific time. Only my 7 year old likes to play the ds. I tell her she has to pick up her toys and read a book before she can play,
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2010