12 month old throwing fits!

My almost 12 month old dd is constantly throwing fits. She throws them when I dont let her get into things she's not suppose to, like the garbage, or let her play with things that will hurt her, like power cords and outlets, etc. It is really hard to deal with, I'm not very good with screaming babies. I have very high anxiety, but cannot take my meds because I am 9 months preggers, which is another reason it bothers me so much. Is there anything I can do to get her to stop?!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter is almost 9 months old and has been doing it for 2 months now,. Like when its tome to get outta the bath after being in it for 45 min if i try to pick her up she throws herself backwards but whenever she starts that i will lay her on the floor and walk away like im ignoring her tantrum. if she thinks im ignoring it .. it ends withing seconds, if i keep giving her "attention" for throwing a fit... she keeps it going. just dont walk away to the point you cant see the child just in case they go flailing too mcuh. i think the more attention you pay to them because of the tantrum the more they want to act up. hope this helps.
    Charisma88

Answer by Charisma88 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• ends with in seconds sorry i was typing too fast
    Charisma88

Answer by Charisma88 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It can be really easy to get upset yourself, but do your best to remain calm. Throwing a temper tantrum is a natural way for young children to experiment with feelings and gain independence and control of little bodies. They also don't have the verbal skills to express their anger and frustration. As their verbal skills get better temper tantrum lessen.

Try redirecting to a new activity. Acknowledging that she is mad (You're mad aren't you?). Besides helping him communicate it, you are acknowledging his feelings which may help relieve some of the frustration. You might try to read some books together (age appropriate) about anger and temper tantrums which might also help. http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=22&page=1

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• let her throw her fit, ignore her and don't give her the audience. if she is getting a reaction out of you and has your attention she'll continue. walk away.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Emotion for babies and toddlers is a full body experience. They don't have the words or impulse control to express themselves any other way. Just like momjs said Aknowledge the feelings (of course, we would be mad too if we were taken away from something really interesting!) and then offer something else that's exciting (favorite toy, tupperware, spoon, etc).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:37 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Try teaching her some basic baby sign language. My 13 month old does the same thing. Try teaching her things like "hurt, milk, more, no, yes, help." These basics, if you can teach them to her, will help her express herself. I just think that at this age they get frustrated because they can't communicate. Screaming is their only way of telling you something. It's a frustrating stage, I know.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• This is totally normal for that age level. First, eliminate as many temptations as you can. Can the garbage go into a cupboard with a child proof latch? Or up out of reach? Cover outlets, move breakable things up to high shelves or put away etc.
    When she does get into something just calmly tell her, "No, we don't play in the trash" and pick her up and move her to something that IS okay. You will need to do this over and over. Just ignore the fact that she is screaming.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010