has anyone had cataracts removed. adult content

I am a scardy-cat and afraid of any surgery, but I am feeling it is necessary for me to have the cataract removed in one eye. I cant see to drive at night at all. But I am afarid of any surgery. Has anyone had this procedure. Can you tell me how it was and what they did. I hear such horrible horror stories. Like do they really use a long needle in yoru eye?

emmidr

Asked by emmidr at 10:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• My granmother had it done. I think that there are 2 different ways they do it. I think that put her to sleep to do it, or you can have it lasered?? I had lasik and it wasn't bad. I had to go again and they had to lift a flap in my eye with a scalpel type thing, that was scary, but they numb your eye first. Check out some websites on it. I've seen tons of older people who have had it done, so I doubt it's that bad.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 10:48 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have not had it done, but both my mom and my mother in law had it done. The eye is numbed and they both said they did not feel a thing. It did not take long. Had to have drops put in often for the first day or so. They had to have a family member with them to drive them home and drive them to the follow-up visit. Tell your Dr your fears. Ask him to explain all details to you and exactly what will happen. There are hundreds of people having this surgery every day. Best of luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am more worried abotu going under any anesthesia than anything else. I hear they implant a lens. Is that alway necessary? If you ahev any links please add. thank you all!
    emmidr

Comment by emmidr (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The cataract is the clouding up of your eyes natural lens so, yes, they put in a new, artificial, lens. Both my mother and mother in law were awake during the proceedure. Very groogy, but not put to sleep. it is quite incredible when you think about it. Let me tell you what my mom said to me when she saw me for the first time after. She said, "My, how gray your hair has gotten!!" I said thank you very much! Let's see if that old lens can be put back!

I do not know how to post a link that you can just click on, but you can cut the link below and paste into your browser. Or just go to www.medicinenet.com and search on cataract. Again, good luck!

http://www.medicinenet.com/cataract_surgery/article.htm
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• thanks Elizabr. I can hardly see. But they said I passed the driving test! Its just so blurry and at night I cant see when the light gets in my eyes. so hopefully they can "fix" my eyes, because I am missing a lot! And I dotn even feel that old, but I hear even kids can get cataracts depends on their genes. lol I just hope I dont have to get any anesthesia. I dont know what Demerol really is, but isn't what killed Michael Jackson? I pray I wake up! Thanks for the links. I will check them all out. susan
    emmidr

Comment by emmidr (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Ask tons of questions of your Dr and nurses. They will put you at ease. Message me in a few weeks and let me know how it goes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Saw my eye Dr and she said my eye looks good, no scratches and she stopped the antibiotic and wanst to see me in a month to see how things are, then will discuss either lasar or surgery. Not sure but she said there is two things that can be done so I can see better. and I dont have to wait til November. It alway pays to ask for a second opinion. The first Dr wanted me to wait til November. But I ahev been taking Bilberry and eyebroght! Two good herbs for the eyes. Plus Lutein. Hopefully by oen month my eyes will improve even mroe and hopefully my body will absorb the collage for that is what cataracts really are. Even she said so! Hopefully all I will need is time. Thats my prayer to avoid surgery at all cost!
    emmidr

Comment by emmidr (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2010