My baby boy is 5months old, and he has really bad diaper rash nothing is working every time he goes to the bathroom he cries. By the cry I can tell he's in pain but I just don't know what to do with him. He does have one open sore on his bottom, right now I'm just using a warm washclothe, and Nystatin cream that the doctor precribed. If you have any advice please help me.

mommy08x2

Asked by mommy08x2 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son's doctor gave me the BEST solution in the world for diaper rash. My son used to have BAD diaper rash and no amount of cream or anything seemed to help. So I asked his dr and this is what she said...........put olive oil on the bare bottom and then put diaper rash cream on top of it, I know it sounds so crazy, but u'll do anything to make your child feel better right? Try this and in a matter of HOURS, yes HOURS it will start to heal and clear up. Promise! Let me know
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Try to let him go with out a diaper for a little bit to let it dry out. You could always try triple butt paste or Boudreaux's Butt Paste. I use Boudreaux's Butt Paste and it really works and sometimes I use cornstarch. Just make sure you keep using a warm wash cloth when cleaning him off.
    Anonymous

• My brother had a digestive issue when he was little and he would break out into a bleeding rash, and the one thing that really helped him was taking a warm bath with baking soda and then just pat him dry or let him air dry don't rub.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree with the others about letting him be without a diaper on for a bit. Also the bath with baking soda can be very soothing as well. You may also want to try out cloth diapers. He could have really sensitive skin and the chemicals in the disposables might just be too much for him. Warning if you do try cloth diapers: You'll want to use a liner between his bottom and the diaper while you are using the diaper creams as they'll likely clog the fibers of the diaper and make them less absorbant otherwise.
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 5:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Put the diaper cream on THICK and don't try to clean it off with each diaper change. Also soaks in the tub. And a washcloth may actually be too rough for such a tender bottom, you might want something softer and just pat it clean.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree with the PP who suggested Boudreaux's Butt paste. It works like nothing else!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Okay so you may think this is gross... but for a very sore bottom you can use Crisco (in the can)... It takes the sting out of it.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My son had a rash when we left the hospital. I tried everything above, the buttcream didnt work. Powder and bag balm. strangely what helped the BEST was the pampars sensitive wipes and diapers with the bag balm and powder. The bag balm stays on better than the rash creams do.
    Florence_Moss

Answer by Florence_Moss at 6:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My son's pediatrician recommended using 1% Hydrocortisone twice/day, Lotrimin AF twice/day and Desitin ORIGINAL (not creamy) at every diaper change. The Hydrocortisone helps with the rash, Lotrimin helps for the yeast infection and the diaper cream keeps the skin dry. The doc also said to was his bum twice a day with a little baking soda in the water. The baking soda helps make the water softer which is more soothing to the irritated skin.  ALL OF THAT WORKS LIKE A CHARM! His rash was pretty much healed within three days of doing all of the creams and bathing. Good Luck!!!!!

sweetpeasmom1

Answer by sweetpeasmom1 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Try bigger diapers. My son got a really bad rash on his butt because his diapers were too small. They fit him in the waist but we didn't realize that they were keeping the moisture on his butt. Finally we bought him some bigger diapers & it went away.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 6:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2008