Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sick 3 year old

Yesterday in the early morning my daughter started of with a slight runny nose, then last night she's wheezing and when she coughs it's a funny noise, I wouldn't say it's a bark but it's not her normal cough. She also makes noises when she breathes in and seems like she sometimes has a hard time swallowing.
I know already all of those are symptoms of many things, one in the common cold, (crazy to get a cold when it's 90 degrees outside, but i happens) She seems like her self but last night she had trouble sleeping and breathing. Should I give it a few days to see if she improves or take her in becuase it's better safe then sorry. Maybe it's just a sore throat and a cold?


Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 43 (154,356 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I always waited a few days when I suspected a cold. If it is a common cold, then by day 3 she should be getting better, if not then it might be time to take her in.

    Answer by cleanaturalady at 10:33 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • If she has a regular doctor call the office and see if they recommend you come in or wait it out. If it were me, i would go. But I am a worry wart.

    Answer by JessieK79 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • If she has any fever, I would definitely go. It might be allergies. Think about the changes in the weather and the environment.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 10:19 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • If she has a fever then I would call her doctor and see what they can do. When my boys get sick I have a list of medicine that they can take and dosage. If its a runny nose and a cough I use trimantic cold and allergy. They usually clear up in three days but if not I would just call and get other suggestion from the doctor.

    Answer by Claudiomom at 10:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

  • If shes having trouble breathing and her cough sounds more like a bark...she may have croup. she needs to go see a doctor.

    Answer by Jazmyn1227 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010