anybody enjoys openhouse???

i look forward to them each yr

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 10:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sailor that is true. There is NO TIME for in depth conversations at an open house. I do pretty much the same. I welcome my students, introduce myself to the parents and encourage them to explore the classroom. I do this 25 TIMES. :) The IN DEPTH stuff goes on at the conference a few weeks later. My school also has a Q and A session(1 week after school starts), where all grade level teachers talk about the upcoming year and take parent questions.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have been doing them for awhile, and sometimes they are ok. This year my youngest starts Kindergarten! I am going to open house next week and look forward to meeting her teacher since I am applying to be room mother.

Answer by gemgem at 10:17 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes, I look forward to meeting our boys Teachers. I also like to go and help refresh their memory of where to go when they get off the bus, etc... Our 7 yr old is a little nervous so it helps to take him around the school and remind him of where things are. He's really shy and sometimes doesn't want to ask, so it gives him a heads up. Hopefully this year his shyness will be a bit better than last yr.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:17 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I like going to see what's going on, get info from the teachers, etc. Though I do have to say that while the ones I attend now (my kids are in High School) are with teachers that are really good - lots of info put out, what the yr will entail as far as curriculum explained, etc - or are with teachers that are really bad - they often don't even show up, there's just a sign up sheet outside the door to see who attended and to get our email addy.

The ones when they were in elem school were, imo, less informative but more "fun and colorful" and more 'see what I made" lol - usually now days my kids don't even go with me - I'm given a schedule and a map of the school and off I go LOL.

My kids are in 12th and 11th grade now. My last "open house" for my ds this year.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:26 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• no..i was very disappointed. we really talked it up to our ds (k-garten) about meeting the teacher and seeing his classroom. what a crock! she spoke to him long enough to introduce herself, and tell him to look around the room. she handed me a folder and said everything i needed to know would be inside. and walked away! whambam! thank you, mam!
    i hope she's better at teaching than giving her first impression!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:28 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Dullscissors - honestly, that's pretty much what you're going to get at most open houses for elem age kids. (lol - believe me, we've moved a lot and we've seen a lot of different schools - they all pretty much do it this way.) There just really isn't time for the teacher to have much more than a quick, shallow conversation with each family.

But the good thing about it is that when it comes time for parent teacher conferences, you will get more "one on one" time and have a chance to talk about and ask anything you want, and after going to open house, you'll have a bit of a "feel" for the setup and atmosphere of the class. :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2010