How do i wean off the boob?

he'll be 18 months saturday and i'm just ready to be done. plus i'm not his milk anymore i'm his pacifier. he only wants it when he's upset and i only give it to him because its the easiest thing to do but it doesnt work while we're out of the house anymore. It's also the only way he'll fall asleep and i think i made a bad mistake with him because i can't get him to nap or sleep any other way and he wakes up ALL the time. Should i quit cold turkey? I tried to stop except for bed/nap times but again he throws a tantrum and it's the only way to get him out of it.... maybe i'm the one with the problem!

babyneil

Asked by babyneil at 5:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes. I quit cold turkey and I offered her a cup of milk. Its was either the cup of milk or nothing. Yes she cried and threw a tantrum but she only did it for awhile and then took the cup. I quit breastfeeding her at 14 months. I was like you I was ready to give it up. I was just her pacifier too. She only wanted it when she was upset or tired. But she has now been weened for 4 months and is doing great. She goes to bed really easy and she is asleep in like 5 mintues. Just offer him a sippy cup with milk or juice and when you know he is ready for a nap or bedtime just tell him this is what you get and when he tries to go for the boob just tell him no and then offer him the cup. He'll eventually take it or just fall asleep. Just be firm with him and stick to your guns with the not giving him any boob! Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I sure wouldn't take him off cold turkey, it could be pretty traumatic for him and you. A little less booby time each day....
    1-2caf

Answer by 1-2caf at 5:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• For us, we're doing child-led weaning. Breastmilk still offers valuable nutrition for as long as the little on is nursing (think of all the kids vitamins that advertise "an ingredient found in breastmilk!"). Not only that, but the immunity factors are very important to cover that immature immune system through the first 2 years.
    However, if you're dead set on weaning, don't do it cold turkey. That's insensitive, to say the least, to the little one, and it's unhealthy for mom - engorgement, mastitis, etc.
    mandawest

Answer by mandawest at 6:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2008