Bad diaper rash help.

It looks like its open sore. The doctor said to make up that butt paste (medicated powder and anti-acid), give many baths with baking soad, no baby wipes (just water). I've been do this about 24hours.
It is not yeast, he has had yeast infections before and this is not it (I do have the medication for that). The doctor won't get him in until its been over 48hours with no improvement. They also said to give him pain reliver because he's been screaming for nearly two hours.
I need other suggestions.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• AIR. DRY. LEAVE IT.

That's what I would do. No diaper= no diaper rash No powder or creams or wipes.

I would use the principles of Elimination Communication to keep feces and urine off of it completely and to reduce the need to irritate with cleaning. If you do go back to diapers use cloth. Receiving blankets work well for this purpose too.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:33 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Maalox mixed with Aquafor is what I used on my DD when she would get a bad diaper rash. I would also just lay a diaper underneath her while she napped instead of putting one on her.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I usually let them seat without a diaper to let the air help there bottom stay cool. Sorry not much help I have never seen bad rashes but here is a bump GL
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:41 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Maybe keep diapers off?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 10:41 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My too oldest always had ear infections when they were babies and the antibiotics gave them severe raw diaper rashes. The only thing that I found to help was Boudreauxs Butt Paste. It helped so much that you'll see a healing result by the end of the day.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• In a resealable container, mix together equal parts Desitin, Lotramin, and Hydrocortizone. Apply after ever change. This was what worked for my dd when she was little. She had a horrible rash after being on so many antibiotics for her ears. I swear this stuff is magic. Good luck!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:41 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I used home-made wipes, just Bounty towels (cut in half) soaked in baby oil, You might also try leaving the diaper off part of the day, if possible, so the area can be exposed to the air and dry a bit.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 24 hours may not be enough time for the skin to heal and that could be why the doctor is saying he won't see him for 48 hours. Keep doing what your doctor recommended and contact him at the end of the 48 hours if you're not seeing improvement.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• okay so what i did with both my DD's was baking soda baths, pat dry, (only water on soft paper towels or on washcloth for wiping bum) then I used Butt Paste or A&D ointment. Also letting your LO go without a diaper and get some air to his bum. GL!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 10:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• For my DD, I soaked her in oatmeal baths once a day (Aveeno has packets you can buy to mix in with tub water). It helped her tremendously, along with an entire shelf of all different kinds of creams. I think I actually had every type of cream you could buy at one point. When one wouldn't work, I'd try something else. Anyway, the oatmeal baths were very helpful.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 17, 2010