I failed my glucose test but it was just by a small amount. Has anyone taken the second test and failed even with the first test being a small margin different from normal?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• GD is very over diagnosed. Pregnant women metabolize sugar differently. So even though the blood sugar levels are normally higher the test levels are set lower than when not pregnant. This is why a high number of women fail the glucose test. These two articles explain it well. I really like the one written by the midwife, it's more in layman terms, the other one is written by a MD and is a little more scientific.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=997295

http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2008/01/michel-odent-on-gd.html
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You should be fine most women fail their 1 hour and pass their 3 hour test good luck.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• A lot of women fail the first one, I bet you'll be fine on your second one!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I failed both with two pregnancies. Getting prepared to have GD with this baby too :( But its only a special diet for a few weeks. Not too bad.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My first glucose test came back with high sugars. I had to retake and it came back good.
    With my first test, I went and had a cup of coffee before the test, we think thats what made it high. Don't eat or drink a single thing before the test.(water should be okay)
    Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:45 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I failed the 1 hour but passed the 3 hour with my youngest. I'm not good at the whole fasting thing while pregnant (I was always starving!). With my other 2 pregnancies, I passed the 1 hour. You'll probably be fine. A lot of women fail the 1 hour but are fine for the 3 hour.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I failed my 1 hour and passed my 3 hour. The 3 hour sucks, bring a book or something. it is a long time in the dr.'s office!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:02 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I was boderline on the 1 hour test, but passed the 3 hour test. On the 3 hour test they took levels every hour. The first hour test, my Ievels were borderline but on the 2 and 3 hour test everything was fine. My doctor didn't see the need to put me on a special diet, but he recommended that I watch my sugar intake to keep it that way.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 12:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i failed both =( it wasn't horrible, i survived the weeks i had to watch my food and check my sugars.
    boom_maker

Answer by boom_maker at 3:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I failed my 1hr by just a little bit, but passed my 3hr just fine....
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010