Today's Pregnacy vs the 1950's Pregnacy and people seem ok from this era!

A urine sample would be collected and it was sent to a laboratory. In the 1950's the urine was injected into a rabbit and if the rabbit died, this was a positive test for pregnancy. This is where the old saying, "the rabbit done died", came from.

No one would suggest that you should stop smoking or even drinking if you where pregnant during this decade. You would sit at the doctor's office and smoke while waiting for your turn to be seen. Your doctor would often be the one to offer you a light for your cigarette as you dicussed your pregnancy in his office. It was your family medical doctor who would deliver your baby in the 50's; there were no specialists to go to for a routine pregnancy.

A pregnant woman was treated as if she was frail and would be prescribed a lot of bed rest. Warnings were given out by your doctor not to reach for things over your head.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• LOL...seems crazy..
    I wonder if in 60 years from now, people will look back on us and figure our ways were strange too.
    I never hears about the bunnies though...poor little things! Wonder who came up with that brilliant idea? lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My grandmother had babies in the 50's and until her death a few months ago she would freak out if one of her pregnant granddaughters put their arms above their heads for any reason. They thought it tangled the umbilical cord around their neck :)

She also told me of how she labored HARD labor for hours and just when the baby was about to crown...they gassed her so she wouldnt be awake....lol. Geez go through all that pain and cant endure the last few moments.

Think of how our grandchildren 50-60 years from now will laugh at us for the things we believe are true :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Not everyone turned out fine. The infant mortality rate was higher, maternal problems were greater. As for smoking and drinking, remember that was the era when they thought DDT was safe! This was also the era when the mother had little input to what was done during prenatal and delivery, the father was not allowed near the delivery room and twilight sleep was used for anesthesia which was not too good for mother or babe. Ignorance (in the 50's) was not bliss.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• yeah, they used to use leaches to cure blood disorders as well as other aliments. just reminds me that dr's & the reigning medical thought of the moment isn't always what's best! I'm reminded of the swine flu.....
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I bet that in 50 years our kids will be laughing about how archaic the advice given to us was.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• LOL, my mom was gassed too with her first three pregnancies. she said nurses would stand on either side of her & massage on her belly downward to try to help the baby come out. How crazy is that?

There were much higher death rates back then, for both baby & momma.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am so glad I was born after the 50's I would be too scared to go to the doctors. Wow! at what they used to do. Poor bunnies.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Funny how things have changed. I think that sometimes a generation can be okay, for the most part, as far as chemical exposure and other harmful substances. But if generation-after-generation is exposed to certain substances, then that is when the effects will sometimes be more prevalent. Take milk hormones/antibiotics for example, they didn't seem to have an enormous effect on the early generations, but as we move on down the line, we see our children experiencing many changes that didn't occur 'back in the day'.  Oh, and I'm so glad that they don't test for preg. on bunnies anymore  ;-)

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• LOL We also laugh at how my grandfather wanted to come see his daughter (my mother) after she was born. And when he walked down the hallway (cigarette in mouth) the nurses were rolling all of the babies back to the nursery. He couldnt be in the hallway while they did this so they made him duck into a closet until the babies were safely back in the nursery.

We learn as we go along. Some information is laughable, others are still true to this day.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• haha that is so funny!  With our second child the way I told my husband I was pregnant is I gave him a letter addressed from the Humane Society.    The letter stated...   Dear Mr. Touchberry,      I'm writing to let you know " THE RABBIT HAS DIED"      LOLOL!!!

MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2010