what questions should i ask the pediatrician ?

im a first time mom and due in september. i know its a little late but i've just started looking for a pediatrician. today are my first 3 appointments with different pediatricians. i have NO idea what to ask them in the consultation interview. can u please give me a list of important questions that i should ask him/her ? im new to all this. please help me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What is your thoughts compared to their thoughts on breastfeeding, vaccinations and emergency situations. Don't tell them what YOU think- get their ideas and you'll be able to make an informed opinion in regards to how they compare with your set beliefs.

In regards to emergencies... find out what the procedure is for middle of the night problems (fevers are always going to be worse after bedtime. :-) Broken bones and stitches are worse case scenarios, but how do they handle them? Do you go right in their during business hours or do they send you to er?

Also, ask about appointment wait times- when you call to make an appointment how long will you have to wait- a good office should allot empty "emergency" space everyday so that small ones can be seen quickly.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Well these are a few my daughter asked hers..Some which put her ahead of the game..
    Do many of the mothers in your practice breastfeed their babies successfully?
    Do you think children should be fed on a schedule?
    Sleep in the same bed with their parents?
    Wean at a particular time?
    What is your usual recommendation for babies who cry when they're put to sleep at night?
    What is your philosophy about antibiotics or other medication for children who have colds or other ailments?
    What is your opinion about infant vaccinations or circumcision?

MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• First of all. You need to decide how you feel on certain topics and go from there. Don't let them decide for you. If you will nurse to a certain age, make sure they know and are ok and don't try to make you change your mind. How do you feel about shots (on schedule, delayed, non at all), When do you think solids should be introduced(4, 6 or 12 months), co-sleeping or not, circumsizing or not? If you already made decisions on how you want your child raised, then find a doc that agrees with you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:01 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• These are the other questions my daughter asked.

Is he/she a member of the American Academy Of Pediatrics or any other specialty organization?

How long has the pediatrician been in practice?

Does the pediatrician have any areas of subspecialty?

How soon after the baby is born will the pediatrician come to see it at the hospital?

How does the pediatrician feel about mothers calling in after hours over "little things"?

Is there a specific time during the day that the doctor will take phone calls?
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:07 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• This may sound odd, but I honestly didn't take a list of questions when I was meeting pediatricians for our sons. I met with a couple and chose the one I felt most comfortable with. I let them ask me questions, I answered honestly and if I felt comfortable with how they responded I liked them. I don't think you get to know a doctor just by asking a list of questions, I think you need to feel comfortable with them and not worry so much about what organizations they are involved in. If you're comfortable with the way the do their job, your baby will feel comfortable too, and that's what matters. And know you can always switch doctors if a problem arises.
    mishmashmom

Answer by mishmashmom at 11:38 AM on Aug. 17, 2010