potty training a girl

i need ideas on how to train my girl to potty train

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wait until she turns 3. Go to the store with her and pick out undies. Get all her favorite characters. Let her pick. Get a lot. Tell her, "tomorrow we wear big girl underwear! No more diapers! Yay!" The next day go straight to underwear. No diapers at all (except at night). Take her every 45 minutes the first day. She will have accidents. Don't leave the house at all for 3 days. Be extremely positive. Give her m&ms when she goes. Praise her a lot. The second day will be much better. The third day she will be trained. I did this with all three of my kids. It really works. The key is to NEVER go back to diapers, so wait until you have a few days that you can stay home to just concentrate on this. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• praise, rewards. also try coazing her with buying big girl underwear and telling her that she can wear it but she has to let you know when she has to go pee pee. let her see you go potty and praise yourself when you do. it's hard. i still haven't been successful.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree buy underwear, NO DIAPER OR PULL UPS. Take her every 15 minutes until it becomes routine. Then up it to 30 and so on. Make sure you have a week to solely devote to the effort. It shouldn't take the whole week though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Girls tend to train earlier than boys. When she was about 2.5 we got her a potty and had her run around bottomless for a week and a half; that's all it took (that and Dora undies).
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:16 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i just want to say i tried everything with my daughter. she did so well until underwear, or pants were on, then she would just pee herself. no matter how many rewards i gave or how often i put her on the potty, it just wasn't working. then she started fighting and getting upset, so i stepped back and we have been on a break. i still offer to take her to the potty, sometimes she goes, and i never turn her down when she wants to try, but to me she just isn't ready if she is totally resisting. the more stress she is under to do it, the more she will refuse. we'll try again soon.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:18 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I just potty trained my dd she's 23 months. What I did was get her a little pick potty, and some pretty underpants. I let her come in the bathroom with me when I went and asked her if she wanted to use the potty like mommy, she said yes. Then I asked her if she wanted to wear unddies like mommy she said yes I do. So I put her in unddies and for the first 2 days I asked her if she had to go potty about every hour and took her the bathroom she had a few accidents, but no big deal I just cleaned them up and told her to tell mommy when she had to go potty. She started telling me and has been trained for about 3 weeks. She really caught on quick, they will if they're ready. If you're dd doesn't seem to be interested after trying for a few days then she might not be ready, I suggest you wait a month or two then try again. Good Luck Mama!
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• what i did was when the kids were about nine months i started putting them on the potty while waiting for the tub to fill. it got them used to the potty and sometimes they even went. i only did this at bathtime. buy the time it was time for potty training they didn't mind. i also told them they couldn't go to school until they were potty trained.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Have her pick out cute undies!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010