Any ideas on how to get a picky eater to eat more vegetables or fruits?

My 1yr old seems to only want hotdogs and mac n' cheese, I am trying to wean him off the breast, and I think this is his way of getting back at me . Like not wanting to eat anything else but, there are days when he will only have 2 tbspns of food, and will cry uncontrolably until I nurse him. I know eventually he will not nurse but I feel that for a 1yr old breast milk is not enough, so I need to get him to eat something else .

bellamom_5

Asked by bellamom_5 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try not giving him any of the other stuff. go for whatever you want to give him my son loves the veggies and his favorite are broccollis. what i usually do is make it interesting for him. usually when i give him brocollies i will try my best to make them stand ( he loves sour cream) so i make the brocollies stand in sour cream and then put a little dinosour in there so he thinkg they are trees. to this point he calls them trees. when he eats suchinni i tell him they are car wheels and he needs to eat them so he can run fast like a car. i try making him happy faces or pictures with other veggies or fruits. then i give him fruits i try giving him some yogurt so he can dip them in there. you can also try making them in juice. if you make the juice you know it wont have access sugar. just try finding ways that he will be interested into eating them
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Actually, breast milk is surprisingly enough. And his stomach is only the size of his little fist. So, it really doesn't take much to be full. And food is slower to digest than breastmilk. Do not offer hot dogs and mac and cheese. Offer veggies and fruit, he will eventually eat it. He WILL NOT starve. I promise. Continue to offer those in addition to the breastmilk. And remember, 1 year olds only realy need a few spoonfulls of food at best. Society has us brainwasked into thinking 4 month olds need cereal and 1 year olds need all sorts of food. When in reality, they don't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:05 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't recommend "hiding" veggies. How will he ever learn to eat them? If you sneak them all the time, he will never develop a taste ans tolerance for trying new things.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• By serving more fruits and vegetables and offering less of other things. And not "sneaking", "hiding", or "disguising" fruits and vegetables, which is counterproductive.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:09 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Don't offer him the other stuff. No hot dogs, no mac 'n cheese, etc. Although mac 'n cheese can be made healthier by using whole grain pasta and adding carrot cubes, broccoli florets, peas ← any or all of the previous veggies. That's not hiding the veggies it simply making a one pan meal, but until your ds decides he likes the different veggies the pasta and cheese will "liven" them up enough to get him to eat some hopefully.

I wouldn't "hide" the veggies and by this I mean leave the chunks big enough that they could be picked out. Rice is also another thing that can be used to make veggies look and taste more appealing instead of just a pile of healthy. lol For example I make vegetable fried rice once in awhile and my son LOVES it. Although the only veggie we have ever had problems with is green beans, but now at 3½ he eats those too. Good Luck!
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies. Quit offering hot dogs and mac n cheese. (they are crap anyways, he he he). Keep offering veggies and fruits. Make a smoothie. He wont starve himself :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:35 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/undercover-veggies-i/index.html

In an effort to tempt his niece into eating her vegetables, host Alton Brown manages to sneak them into several tasty treats.
    Recipes in This Episode

* Parsnip Muffins
    * Pearsnip Sauce
    * Parsnip Crisps

Here's some ideas of ways to hide veggies in other foods- you can do this with carrots
    put peas in with the macaroni, stuff like that
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• There are 100 % fruit juices with added veggies in them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My son always ate veggies like, broccoli, peas, brussels and cooked carrots. Those are the only ones he would eat.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:14 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• talk with him and let him know you have to eat fruits and veggie and try them different ways..my dd dont eat all fav of each but she eats enuff so just try them all.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:19 AM on Aug. 17, 2010