How do i start potty training my son who's 16 months but wont sit on the big potty?

my son is 16 months and tells me when he goes to the bathroom, he gives me a diaper when hes ready for a diaper change but he wont go near the big potty hes not afraid of it just afraid of sitting on it and i have a feeling even with a little potty he'll do the same

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You'll never know until you try. Usually that's the best way to get started, is with a smaller one. It's also a lot easier for them to use. Their little bottoms are small and they have to hold themselves up for awhile to avoid falling in! But not with the little one.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• if he likes movies you can go to the library and rent elmos potty time! My son just sits on the little potty chair he has yet to go on it.
    christian0425

Answer by christian0425 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My son used to cry when I put him on the big potty so I bought him a little potty. Every time my husband or I went potty we would have him come and sit on his--just with all his clothes on. Then as he got used to it I would have him set on it while watching Sesame Street or something and wait until he went potty. After he got used to sitting naked on it it was easier to transition his potty seat to the big potty. Now he will crawl up on the big potty even with out his seat (he's 2 1/2 now). that was our transition. And I started around 23 months. It didn't take too long, only like 2-3 months. Hope this helps
    noaksmom

Answer by noaksmom at 7:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• You never know. Take him to the store, put a couple of little potties on the floor and let him pick one out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Elmo's Potty Time DVD was a real lifesaver. And if your child likes Elmo (mine does) they make a fold-up potty seat with the Sesame Street charcters on it (Toys R Us, was like $9.00). I take it with me EVERWHERE in a ziplock back (one is included when you buy it) in my purse. My daughter gets to sit on her favorite character and it makes the big potty seat smaller for her little behind.

But honestly, I would try a little potty and see how it does with that. I used the fold up seat because my daughter was terrified of other people's pottys and public restrooms.
    mjpX2

Answer by mjpX2 at 4:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• try going to the bathroom with him so that he will know that it is ok. my son was potty trained at 2 yrs and 3 months i kept the potty chair in the bathroom and everytime i had to go i sat him on it and said ( time to go potty like a big boy. ) after you finish shout yayyyyyyyyyyy . and they get very encouraged. at first they are going to sit on it and play around but that will only happen for a few and then stop. it takes time just keep practicing and it will happen one day and also reward him when he does do it.
    kittykat123

Answer by kittykat123 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2008