Pet Insurance?

Does anyone have pet insurance? Would you recommend it to anyone and what company do you use if you do? I have never thought of getting health insurance for my animals before but after my sons dog had a $500 vet bill I'm looking into options.

onemellowmom

Asked by onemellowmom at 11:06 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Mine is more like 40 a month and I purchased it when my Shorthair got into one predicament after another. It will not cover pre-existing ANYTHING,even a pimple! They do reimburse for just about every bill but just a percentage. We took both dogs for check up and annual shots they needed plus 1 dogs heartworm meds and the bill was about $400 (ABSURD)...VPI pet insurance sent me a check (quickly..1 easy form/receipt added) $150 . Really not worth it UNLESS your pet gets a chronic disease or lots of injuries. I've used it lots of time for the 1 insane dog and just for routine vet care for the more sedate dog, LOL>
    Jillsky

Answer by Jillsky at 5:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i dont know of anybody but it sounds like a good investment.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Nope, I don't have money to waste on pet insurence
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It actually isn't all that expensive from what I've seen, only about $25.00 a month. With the cost of Vet bills and heartworm medicine and flea treaments and everything else they need plus coverage for accidents or surgery or if they get cancer it kinda seems worth it. My dog is my son's best friend and I know he'd be devistated if anything happened to her so I'd want to do anything to keep her around as long as I can.
    onemellowmom

Comment by onemellowmom (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You have to really read the fine print, see what is listed as a preexisting condition, and what is/isn't covered. Most of it is just junk ~ and allows the vets to keep jacking up the prices.

I blew $3000 putting one of my dogs back together (in spite of keeping her home most of the time, with two IVs running) and my vet suggested it. I blew a gasket. Insurance is the single driving factor behind high cost human medicine, and I will NOT pay to see that happen with vet medicine. The idea of only rich people having pets is medieval ~ but the routine costs are already making it so a lot of people can't afford a pet. I do rabies/distemper and once a year checkups until mine start hitting 'elderly' ages. I feed well and I pay attention to any signs of illness and treat early. I've lost 4 in the past two years all aged 17- 18. Healthy pets don't cost a fortune, and spending more doesn't make one a better owner, just a poor one.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010