MRSA on my 2 yr olds skin! Anyone else dealt with this? Need advice

My baby, Troy was cultured for MRSA on July 20th. He has had spots on him all summer long, DR kept telling me they were bug bites and to spray him and his clothes with bug spray. They didn't go away, finally he got a huge spot on his head that swelled and then popped like a pimple with lots of pus, clear liquid and blood coming out of it, cultured it and came back positive: MRSA. They didn't tell me until 10 days on 2 meds. Got another spot, was sent to ER and I found out it was MRSA. July 30th put him on another anitbiotic, that he is still taking. 9 days he started clearing up, day 10 all broke out again. Today is the 17th day on this anitbiotic. They tested his blood, no MRSA there, only up his nose & on skin.
Now what do I do? I disinfect my house constantly. started putting some bleach in his bath water, no effect. Another culture takin last week, still have not heard from the Dr. I am calling at least 2 times a day.

hjmadison

Asked by hjmadison at 11:15 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Health

• Sounds like you are doing about all you can. My son kept doing that. I don't know if switching soap helped or not, but he hasn't had anymore breakouts. I ordered some bar soap that wrestlers use called defense, and after he used all that up we not use lever 2000. We were using dial before but it never seemed to help, maybe because we had always used it.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Stop putting bleach in the water IMMEDIATELY! Obtain some Hibiclens from your physician and some pharmacies carry it; it's a skin cleanser used prior to surgery.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• And he will always have MRSA, there is nothing you can do, but try to control it the best you can, and always cover his scrapes and keep him clean. I also bleached everything in the house. I tried everything. I don't know if the soaps did have anything, or if I just finally got it under control. But i do keep a bar of defense around, waiting for the next outbreak.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We also got rid of the pets. I'm slowly thinking of everything we did. It was a long process, and very stressful. Good Luck!
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• As for the bleach in the water. The pediactric Infectious Disease Dr told us to do it. That way it kills the bateria, that survives in the water! I also wanted to say for anyone that searches this post. My son has not had any other MRSA symptoms, that I keep reading about. No diarhea, (at least not until the antibiotics), or fevers. Just spots and itching!
    hjmadison

Comment by hjmadison (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• you can put neosporin in his nose, don't reuse towels or wash cloths - put them in the laundry after one wash... and this stuff is great

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?skuId=408272&productId=408272&WT.mc_id=Shopping_Feed_Products_Google_Free_Listing

you can find it at any drug store, its called Staphaseptic. It doesn't cure a current infection but you can put it on any bumps before they get infected and it will prevent infection. I struggled with MRSA for 2 years, one infection after another, and this stuff has been the only thing that has kept me from getting them (been over a year since my last infection)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:36 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• oh... i meant put things in laundry after one use...
    and of course, keep sores covered so that other children/family members don't come in contact with them
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• have you ever given your child probiotics? i would go to the healthfood store and get some! make your child as healthy as possible to suppress outbreaks. be sure that he gets the right amount of sleep, and that he eats well. i would do away with as many processed foods as possible. do not overschedule him. take him to the chiropractor regularly.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Probiotics! Yes, the dr gave us free samples of Culturelle for kids. My local drug store carries it, so I give it to him daily. I am debating about giving it to my other 3 boys also, to help keep them from getting this! Also, my oldest son (9) has spots on his legs, getting them cultured tomorrow to find out if he has it, too. Hope not, school starts thursday!
    hjmadison

Comment by hjmadison (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• MRSA is common in your nose. I dont know why they would have swabbed his nose. Most antibiotics dont work on MRSA. They only way they test for it is a culture and sensitivity, which should tell which antibiotic would work. Once you have MRSA you dont get rid of it. It can come back different places at any given time. If he has an open and oozing sore, then he is contagious. If its not oozing, then not so much. Bleach everything. Even put a drop in the bathwater. Like I said, its highly contagious and easily spread. LIke another poster said, hibiclens is good to have. Wash his clothes seperately and then run the washer through without close with bleach in it. Staph is common on your skin. What did they do another culture for?
    erin7420

Answer by erin7420 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010