Am I the only one who is not involved in their kids' school?

I don't join the PTA but I do participate in fundraisers. I donate to causes and when someone else plans to do something special for the teacher. I don't volunteer or apply to be room mom. I never go to have lunch with my daughter or help out with field day. Is there something wrong with that? When I was growing up, my mom never saw the inside of my school except on the 1st day for registration. So I thought it was normal to not be so involved. Now I'm made to feel bad for not doing more. I'm sure not every mom in the world is superly involved at their kids' school. I do go to open house and curriculum night though, but not much more.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in

• Its totally up to you how much you want to be involved. I work full time but I do help out with the pta and volunteer whenever I can. I don't like it and I don't really want to do it but I want to know what is going on in my kids school and what kinds of kids he is around. As fo the pta, you don't really have to sign up or anything just got o a meeting and see what is happening at the school.

My mom was the same way but I feel differently. I wouldnt' feel bad if that is the way you want to be, no one can make you do it and you need to do what is best for you and your family.

Just depends on how much you want to know what is goign on with your kids.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 11:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't really get involved in school activites unless i'm attending it for my son. I've always been pretty uncomfortable with things like pta and the other groups. The moms that do them are kinds stuffy and look down their nose at me cause I'm a really young mom. It's all very clicky and I'm not apart of the clicks.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Im really not that involved in my girls school. I go to all performances (both girls are in chorus and my oldest does band and palys in middle school) and all meetings for those activities but that is about it. I dont do field day and rarely attend the parties. I work and its hard for me to get away for everything. Even if I was a SAHM, I dont think I would be much more involved than I am.

JCGoneLoony

Answer by JCGoneLoony at 11:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I do things when I can, but the way I work its not that often. I go on field trips if I can get off work. I'd like to do a lot more though
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Even though I work, fortunatelly I find time to be involved in my daughter's school.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 11:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Only you can parent your kids, if it's working for you guys so be it. I do not participate in many school activities mostly because I can't stand to be around helicopter moms. the ones who are always there. When it came to donating food stuffs for events or donating material things or extra money for kids who couldn't go to field trips I always did that.Their sporting events usually kept all my time for organization and fundraising. My mom is deaf, so she never went to any school functions back in the 70's the social aspect of dealing with disabilities was non existent.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• keisha613, try not to look at those physical things too much...there are probably a lot of moms that don't even notice the kind of vehicle you are driving, and those that might wish that they didn't have their car payment, like you do not! my son goes to school with millionaires, and i do not let that stop me from being involved with my kids. i have met some very nice women that are not at all judgemental like you might think they are. if your child would like you to go have lunch with him, then you should do that for your child. if your child would be proud to have you come in and read a book to the class, or volunteer for a field trip, then do it, for your child : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Being involved doesn't mean joining PTA and being BFFs with the other parents. You are being involved. You are doing everything you can do be involved in your child's school. There are SAHMs I know who do significantly less than you and they really have no excuse, especially being they are SAHMs to school aged children with none at home.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'm involved as far as my children are concerned--it's all about them! I am on the PTA but that is primarily so I can chat with teachers and admins and I'm the only parent of special ed students that attends--so I end up representing that "lesser known" segment! I don;t do it to make friends with other moms, I do it to make sure my children's needs are met!

I make sure to participate in every find raiser (and there are many), and coordinate a couple of fundraising efforts. We also make larger donations to help with their big ticket items like a new playground and equipment, new desks and chairs, and other upgrades.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Me too. I work full time. I'm not around unfortunately.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:17 AM on Aug. 17, 2010