Moms who BOTH BF and FF

Okay we all know what the say how BF is best that you child won't get sick as often, little to no ear infections, yadda yadda yadda.

Well I FF my 1st born and she rarely got sick. My 2nd born I BF and he gets sick a whole lot, I did eat healthy. But he just got over a double ear infection and it got me thinking that he has been way more sick on his first year of life then my almost 3 year old has been sick her whole short life. With my daughter she rarely even gets a cold or a fever. My son has been sick so many times, these past few months. Has anyone else experience this? It almost makes me think that when the say BF babies don't get sick as often it's just a myth to get women to do it. Of coarse I know breast is best and always will be and there's more benefits to it as well. If I ever were to have another I would still BF.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It's a myth. My ff son never got sick. Either did my bf babies. I agree breast is best. But is has nothing to do with children getting sick more.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I breastfed both of my sons. My first rarely got sick and my second got sick at an early age and more often than my first. I think it's simply because he is exposed to more germs from my first who goes to playdates, preschool, etc.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't think taking a study that covers many infants and shows bf'ing is beneficial should be applied to just 2 children. I FF my oldest, and I BF my youngest. They're both equally healthy.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't think it's a myth, but I don't think that every formula fed baby will be less healthier than a breast fed baby. My son has yet to actually be sick and h's 11 months old and formula fed. My friend's baby who is breast fed only has been sick more times than I can count. I always say, more goes into a child's health than what they eat. My son is with me, he's not in day care or with a babysitter, we live in a clean, sanitary home, and he has regular doctor's visits and his vaccinations. He's definitely exposed to germs, but he obviously has a great immune system.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• less healthy*
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My daughter was feed exclusively breast milk her first 6 weeks. But I wasn't able to produce enough milk to give her what she needed calorie-wise and was forced to supplement with formula. At 8 weeks, I went back to work so I BF in the morning and at night, but she FF during the day. She weaned herself when she was 11 months old. She is very healthy and, so far, hasn't even had so much as a runny nose.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think the immune system has more to do with how sickly they will be, than what they eat. I think they say a breastfed baby is generally healthier because it picks up extra immunities from mom. But I don't think its such a blanket, as some would have you believe, that all breastfed babies will be superior in health to formula fed babies. Just as they won't be smarter JUST BECAUSE they got breastmilk. It might help either instance, but offers no guarantees.
    I was a formula baby. My son had a mix of formula and breast the first 4 months of life and then switched soley to breast. I have a few issues that I believe are genetic, but very well could have been aggrivated by my moms food choice for me. My son, so far has no issues that I am plagued with. I'm very thankful for that and I don't know if I should thank my milk or if it was just all genetics!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• OP HERE

My first went to daycare most of her first year because I was going back to school and she was with me when I worked in a daycare. My 2nd hasn't ever been in a daycare and we also keeps up on shots and live in a clean home. So maybe it's just luck of the draw.
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Well, with my first I FF. With my newest I BF and FF.. My first never gets sick either. My newest is 3 weeks old and the only difference I have noticed is my LO is really chubby..
    BeautifulDream

Answer by BeautifulDream at 11:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• And there are plenty of smokers who never get cancer; this doesn't mean that smoking doesn't cause cancer.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010