DH and I are planning on having one more baby and then we don't want anymore, but Iam deciding on me getting tubes tied or him getting snipped?

the doctor told him yesterday at my appointment that it would be easier on his part. But what info do I need to know? I know nothing about either procedure so any info will help. I am trying to talk to my DH trying to have him get it done rather than me, but he wants me to do research on both prcedure then he will decide if he will or not.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in About CafeMom

• you're on the right track...research and decide. the decision is yours between you and hubby, GL
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Call your doctors and have them mail out information on each procedure.
    For us, we have decided that once this baby is born, my dh will get a vasectomy rather than me get my tubes tied. It would be easier on his part. Besides, I've alrady been through enough with 3 pregnancies, one c-section,lol. I decided HE can do this one.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We don't want anymore but don't want to do the tubes or vasectomy just in case. I'm going to get an IUD.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It is easier on a man, plus a vasectomy is reversable
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• the procedure for guys is def less invasive and quicker healing...
    my mom got her tubes tied after her last baby and just got it done while she was already in the hospital cause she figured if I'm already recovering from childbirth its not that big a deal to recover from surgery at the same time (of course I was almost 13 when my youngest brother was born so she had me to help her at home with cooking, cleaning and diapers, etc...)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i had my tubes tied after my second and they did it the next day and its just a small incision just under the belly button. i didnt have any problems and if your lucky maybe the surgoen will try to give you your belly button back like he did me. but depending on the hospital policy they wont do it right away and you will have to wait for a couple of weeks. with my sister they wouldnt do it until after her post partum checkup 6 weeks later. all i had was a bit of soreness where the staples were. vasetomy they is just a simple outpatient poscedure where they numb him up make two small cuts and clip out a small section of the tubes and sow him up and send him home. he will be sore for a couple days but they have to go in for a sperm count after a bit of time to make sure it took hold. so it all depends weather you are confortable with going under. talk to your doc!
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Try doing some research online. Look for sites that are written by medical professionals.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I had the Essure procedure.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Did you ever have a c-section? I had to have one with my second because she was breech. My third I opted for a c-section so that they could tie my tubes at the same time. A second c-section is much better than the first. You heal rather quickly and it was nice to get it all done at once.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• This will be my 5th child and my SO's 2nd child. Needless to say it will be my last child. I've talked to my doctor and will be having the Essure done, you should look into it if it's available in your area.

Essure offers women what no birth control ever has:
    ■No surgery, burning or anesthesia
    ■No hormones
    ■No slowing down to recover
    ■Performed in less than 10 minutes
    ■Peace of mind - your doctor can confirm when you can rely on Essure for birth control
    ■Trusted by hundreds of thousands of women and doctors for over five years

With Essure, you'll never have to worry about unplanned pregnancy again. Essure is 99.74% effective with zero pregnancies*, making it the most effective form of permanent birth control available.

Though if you have no choice than to go with a surgery option then it is easier for your SO/DH to get it done.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 17, 2010