non-napping toddler...

So, my 20-month-old DD has apparently stopped taking naps. I still put her in her crib for nap time, but instead of sleeping for 1 1/2 - 3 hours (depending on the day) she snoozes for maybe 30 minutes, and plays the rest of the time. She's been staying up later at night too (she usually falls asleep to a movie; tv is on a timer. i've been going in to check on her when we go to bed, and most nights she's still up at 10pm anymore)! Thoughts?

Kassey713

Asked by Kassey713 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep her active and busy during the day. She has a lot of energy that isn't getting used up, my youngest is like that. Take long walks, go to the playground, have her run up & down the stairs, whatever works that energy out!
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 11:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think this is pretty normal. I think that is about the time my daughter (now almost 4) decided she wasn't into naps that much. I started giving her the option of nap or quiet time. I found that about half of the time quiet time turned into nap time. Maybe instead of the TV putting on some quiet, soothing music - that may help her nod off.

Good luck!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 11:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Some kids need less sleep than others and lots give up their naps around this age. Continue the quiet time in her crib if she is willing and maybe she'll do the short nap for awhile. I have friends who continue to do quiet time everyday and their kids are 2.5 and 4.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:28 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i think if she doesnt want to sleep in the day and then sleeps at night it ight be because she ahs to much energy. i think you shold make her do more stuff liek take her to the part or outside or somethign where she is a little more active. my son used to be like that he went from taking 2 naps to nt taking any. so my doctor recommended to just make him be a littl emore active so that way even if he didnt take any naps in the morning he would go to bed early. so i did now every morning we go for a walk and i tak ehim to the park every once in a while and that has made thing so much better now he actuallytakes a nap of about 3 hours and he goes to sleep at 9 every day. and the day he doesnt tke a nap during the day he goes to sleep at 8
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Ladies this was awesome advice... Until I tried to put it into practice. Did I mention that my DD is stubborn and seems to ENJOY throwing fits? I put her in the stroller to take her to the playground (I happen to have 2 in walking distance) and she started throwing a fit before we even got to the end of the driveway. So much for today... She can throw that fit in her damn crib, b/c I'm over it.
    Kassey713

Comment by Kassey713 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010