Did you know you could sue your landlord because of your neighbors their tenants?

I did get my security back even though I broke the lease and left early w/his permission, one because he agreed to let me move.

I spoke to an attorney and she told me I could have sued him because I have complained and complained about the tenants below and then they were physical with my daughter. If I didn't need the money so bad-for bills and to add to savings I would have sued because the tenants were violent.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I don't think I would have bothered suing, but I would have been pressing charges against the tenants. How were they violent?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• uh...ok??? Thanks for the info...
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't think you should sue the landlord. People are way to sue happy now a days. It's not the landlords fault the others were violent. You could have called the cops and pressed charges against your neighbors but you didn't. You could have sued your neighbors if they were violent and hurt you daughter to were she needed medical care, but that didn't happen. I would think of you suing your landlord as pretty screwed up and selfish for money.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree... I am not sure how your land lord was at fault here. The issue was with the neighbor. There are only certain things that a landlord should be responsible for... and your daughter fighting with the neighbor doesn't seem like landlords fault.

IMO. That is what is wrong with our justice system... people going after BIG POCKETS... instead of what is right.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:52 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Let me give you a good example of a reason you can sue your landlord and have it be justified.

In our last apartments as our lease was coming to an end I realized there was black mold growing in my children room. I complain and complained and nothing happened. Over a month last they cam and looked at it and said they'll take care of it. A month past again and they didn't do a thing but it was the end of our lease anyways and we were moving to another state. Now if my kids were to get sick and hospitalized I could have sued and I could have sued if we broke our lease sooner and sued for moving expense.because they never took care of it after I complained several times and attempt to clean it myself but it came back and needed a professional to clean it.
    Now that's a good and valid reason to sue a landlord, yours is majorly flawed.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I didn't sue but my daughter was assualted by the neighbors and the landlord was told several times about the people down stairs, and he didn;t do anything...

By law in NEW JERSEY you have a right for living quietly and safely.... If it is 5pm and people are out of control, you have the right to call the police if they are disturbing you... I am not nit picking just protecting my kids and my self....
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2010