Please help! I have a house hermit!

My son will be 5 on the 24th of August. We have decided to hold him from Kindergarten due to the fact that he would be one of the very youngest in class, school starts 3 days before he turns 5.

However, we did enroll him in Vacation Bible School at the school he would be attending, hoping to get him to meet some other children. He has 3 sibs much older than he, and 1 only 13 months younger. He is best friends with a boy going to K this fall. He is now to the point that he wants to stay with daddy if I have to go to the store etc. He used to love going out. Now all he wants is to stay at home, and play with boy down the street. I am enrolling him in preschool, but I fear as with vacation bible school, he will not let me leave.
What can I do to foster some independance in him. Bible school was a disaster and we had to stay and he hardly participated. He says he doesn't want to go to preschool. What to do?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 11:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You need to talk to him and explain to him the importence of going to school, of course in a way that a 5 year old will understand it. Also be very reassuring to him that just because you aren't at school with him, that you still love him. And that you'll be there to pick him up and everything will be fine.

My dd has been going to a preschool since she was 2 1/2, Ive had to have these talks with her a few times...she is 4 now and hasn't complained about not wanting to recently, but Im sure she'll start it again at some point. I found that a lot of reassurence is what made her feel comfortable with going.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Go to wherever the preschool is and get a little tour and talk to him about all the "Fun stuff" he will use there and do there. Get him some fun stuff he can use/wear on the first day of school. A new shirt of his liking, underwear with his favorite characters, etc that you can build up and say "when you're in preschool you can wear these". Then, on that first day, say goodbye, kiss and hug, and then leave, don't let him cling or you'll never get out of there. Give him a day or two to adjust and I'm sure he'll be fine.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• do some school role-playing with him, to get him comfortable with different situations

Answer by rkoloms at 11:36 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• make a book for him to help him adjust. Take pics of the teachers, rooms, etc and put them together so he can see who he will be with and what his day will be like. You can use sheet protectors or contact paper to help make it more bookish. Its helped both my kids deal with big changes :)
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2010