What age did you get rid of the toys for your kids?

I am a talking baby dolls, big trucks and stuff like that.

My son only plays with his little match box cars, everything else is collecting dust, my daughter plays with her dolls once in a while, but I was thinking of getting rid of some of them to reduce the clutter, and her birthday is coming.

Not computer game, hand held games and stuff like that.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Whenever. My son has a million toys, so every few months I go through his toys & get rid of some. If they don't play with them, then they don't play with them.You could try going in one day & removing some of them, place them in a box & put the box somewhere & see if they notice whats missing...

If they dont pass the toys along.... If they do, explain that you had to move some of them, because theres just too much. John now helps me go through his toys & pick what we're going to throw away, keep & pass along...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 11:28 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• when i was a kid we'd go through all of our stuff every year and get rid of anything we hadn't played with or worn in that past year... stuff that was trash went into trash and stuff that was still in good shape got donated to charity
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I didn't. My kids started telling me what they didn't want to play with anymore. Additionally toys get broken and need to be tossed as well. There usually is one or two favorite stuffed animals that become favorites and will be kept. The others end up stuffed in bags awaiting their new homes.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• every six months or so we went through everything and got rid of the excess stuff the didn't want anymore. Def let ur child be a part of the process :)
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• They belong to your child, and it is your child's decision

Answer by rkoloms at 11:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Salvation Army picks up... 1-3 times a year I donate any clothes that don't fix, toys that have been outgrown and anything else. I don't like a lot of clutter and the kids are learning to pass somehting on when you are done with it.

It is not an age thing really either... if they still use it IT STAYS...if not IT GOES.

Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We go through their toys every December before Christmas and they decide what they no longer want. It's their choice. Older kid toys slowly come in from their wish lists and birthdays.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You know some of the toys, I've packed up for them to share with their children. My daughter's baby dolls and barbies are in bins in the attic. All Legos are kepts, all books are kept.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I choose to go thru them about everything 3 months for extra cleaning, my daughter only has a few certain toys that get played with everyday and those sit on their on shelve as where the ones that barely get touched are in a toy box and when it get all messed up we go thru it and pick what needs to go and what needs to stay, she always finds this one toy that she trues to keep and we normally do from the pile of ones that we are getting rid of then I go thru and choose which ones are to keep for her children, the rest get passed along to needy families.
    ToadsMommi

Answer by ToadsMommi at 12:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010