Do You Have A Dog?

We have a 10 month old black Labrador, and I'm due in November with our 2nd baby boy and we are nervous about having our dog in the house. We got her in January and our 4 year old LOVES her, but we live in a townhome so we can't make her an outside dog, she has to be in our house and she sheds horribly. She's not allowed on the furniture, but our carpet is covered, it doesn't matter how many times a day I vacuum, it never seems to pick up all the dog hair. So we're worried about all the dog hair with a newborn, and especially during the winter when the dog is in and out all the time tracking in cold snow and mud. Do any of you have a lab and have had a baby at the same time? How did you deal with it? Please no bashing, I posted a question like this in "Pets" and was bashed for "not loving my dog like a family member" We are all very fond of our dog, just trying to figure out the best way to deal with her & a new baby

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't have one but my parents do. When I visited with the babies...we just vacuumed and put a blanket down on the floor. Dog hair won't hurt the baby.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• try putting some cod liver oil in her food, about a teasoon a day should help her not shed so much. i have a dog and we give her 1 tsp oil in her food every day and she don't shed nearly as much, we also do this for our cat as well!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 11:33 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I had a white lab & a black lab & a few other dogs when my son was born. You just keep up with the dog hair (If you can) make sure that the baby's toys are up out of the way, anything they'll sleep with what not. As they get older have a blanket that you can lay out just for play time for them.... The dogs never really bothered my son. The black lab still sleeps with him nightly. (along with the cat.) Just play it by ear. See how things go at first.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 11:35 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Oh my goodness I can't believe people bashed you for this.... I love my dog like a family member too (yes she's a black lab as well) but this is your BABY and you have to do what's best for him/her. You're a great mom for being concerned.
    Do you have any groomers around that can do a thorough brushing/washing for your dog? I live in St. Louis and there's a popular groomer they advertise on TV and they do this special "Shed-X" treatment & they show a REALLY HAIRY dog like a St. Bernard or something & they're brushing him backwards & blow drying the dog, they say it virtually gets rid of shedding.
    Other than that I would do like ashisamom said and put a blanket down when you want to do "tummy time" or something. In fact I would do that anyway even if you get your dog something like Shed-X treatment. :)
    Way to go mama, it's great to be a step ahead of the game!
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We have a yellow lab and he does shed a LOT! We had our 2nd DD when he was 6 months old (by the way he is 110 pounds -so he is a LOT of lab!) but all you can do is vacuum a LOT... and I threw a blanket down for baby to be on. But to no avail because he typically wanted to snuggle with her! LOL The hair wont really hurt the baby unless their are allergies involved -in which case you will have bigger problems on your hands. But anyhow just make sure little crawling hands stay clean before they put them in their mouth and sooon enough they will be walking and you will not have to worry anymore than you have to with your 4 yr old.Also be sure to watch her anyhow because even our sweet lover boy doesn't know his size and as gentle as they are they can sure tromp around a lot and either accidentally step on baby or something so be careful! GL momma!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 11:41 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• oh also forgot to add we have a Furminator (de-shedding brush)- We got it from our vet. Works wonders!!!!!!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 11:43 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• dont worry about the dog hair. the best thing you can do is take the dog to the groomers regularly it does wonders for the shedding. i have a lab and when i take her to the groomers i dont have to deal with as much hair for a few weeks plus she smells good. labs tend to shed more than a long hair breed and the groomer can get more than you would ever think she had that much hair. i have my black lab with both my kids and we did fine. just put a blanket on the floor when you want ummy time or whatnot. white the snow and mud you can keep a rag but the door so when you come in the house you can wipe its paws. if you cant afford a groomer go to the local pet store and they have a shedding rake that you can get which works great or the new shed ease typr rake/comb that really does work great. just relax the dog wont be an issue.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• btw kids raised around animals are at a reduced rate to have allergies.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Do you not have a relative or in-law that will enjoy the dog out on their land, and let it romp and roam, and be a dog like they enjoy also. It's a good thing for them to get the exercise and fresh air and play and even if the dog is tied to a line with one to a tree, and one to either another tree, or part of a home,/ barn, it's a line , put a pulley-wheel on it like for a clothes line they can run back and forth all day. This will free up your time for the baby and yourself, you've got a whole lot to prepare for. I'd love it if I had a dog, but I'd want a dog outside that big.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have a lab/shephard mix and he sheds uncontrollably. Every couple weeks I'll take him to the groomer and get a "FURminator" (at PetSmart) done to him. It helps REDUCE the shedding ..and I vaccuum constantly.

Get a FURminator brush and brush him whenever you have free time.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2010