How old should someone be to Babysit a 10 month old?

Im looking for a babysitter and I have a 10 month old so I wanted to know what is the right age for someone to be able to babysit my child?

cutekt796

Asked by cutekt796 at 11:37 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• there is no magic age, it all depends on experience and maturity. me personally for an infant, no younger than 16
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'm not sure of an age, but that person would have to be very resposible and I would have to know them. I couldn't just pick anyone and trust them with my child.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have a son that is almost 11 months old and personally, I wouldn't let anyone watch him who didn't have children of their own at the very least. That's just me, though...I'm paranoid and won't leave him with anyone but my parents, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:40 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Old enough to know what they are doing. How mature is the babysitter? Make a list of questions to ask and interview. Give the babysitter emergency scenarios and ask them how they would handle the situation. I think it also depends on how well you know this sitter, does the sitter come with reccomendations from other mom?
    I've been babysitting since I was 12 years old. If I remember correctly, I only watched children over the age of one until I was about 15, then I babysat for my aunt and she had a baby.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:42 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'd say someone who is at least 16 and has experience with babies...
    I started babysitting when I was like 12 or 13 but I have a lot of younger brothers and a sister that I grew up taking care of so that helps... find an oldest daughter of 5 or more children and she'll be great! haha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:45 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My daughter was Red Cross certified at 12, and sitting for infants at 13

Answer by rkoloms at 11:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I would say 16 with a certification! I am very picky on who watches my kids (which isnt very ofeten)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 16 Years of Age and i would verify, or someone who is family that you can trust.
    You could even try 18 if you need to.
    10 month Olds are crazy and are trying many new things.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i was a sitter for many years, infants and early age toddlers can be difficult i wouldnt trust anyone less than 15 unless it was someone with experienced and maybe a family member, but i think its important they be trained in infant cpr as well
    hillybean1985

Answer by hillybean1985 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Depends how well you know the babysitter. In my experience 12 -14yr olds actually make the best babysitters. Older than 16 they are always on their phone or facebook and are as in to actually playing with the baby or feeding and those kind of things. It also depends on what they will be expected to do ie. put them to bed? feed them a meal? Or is it just to watch them while you go out for and hour or two. Its totally your decision in the end, but ive met many 12 yr olds who do a great job with babies.
    kricketandisla

Answer by kricketandisla at 6:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010