• In the Spotlight:

do you wish you had been in college but are older now and ........?

you are older and wondering how you would have paid that bill anyway? Are you seeing a gamut of people out in this world making it by the skin of their teeth ? I do and it's sad, because they did the school and now they have no benefits from it. It's such a rip off. I am seeing perhaps like 1/2 of those finishing get out and do what they'd intended, or not even finishing college at all. Sometimes is appears to be a huge scam.

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 11:58 AM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would NEVER think of college as a scam, and now I am getting to be older, 24, and I see the benefits in college more so now, than I did when I was say 18 and a new HS grad. If you plan correctly, and smart, your college education should pay off for you. However yes the economy does suck and not everyone will be as fortunate. That is why you should look into grants, scholarships, and finacial aide before taking out student loans.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think it is an institution that definitely needs reevaluated. Technology and so much more has changed. The traditional way of doing things is becoming irrelevant. Also, there are so many people with degrees that they mean less then they once did, as far as giving the advantage for a job.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 12:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am 26 and DH is 28 and we are both back in school for nursing- it is sooo hard to get a good paying job that doesn't lay off without a degree.....
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• college is not a scam. there are so many grants and scholarships you can recieve you can get almost your whole degree complelety paid for. you may need some student loans but you dont have to pay them back until you graduate. your much better off in this world with a college degree, you just have to choose the right major.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am back in college after a 22 year hiatus - after my kids were grown. There is absolute dollar for dollar value in obtaining an accredited education, but don't go to the second rate schools - that is like throwing money away.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think what she meant was that some people pursue a degree and then graduate only to find there is no market for it. That is definitely true in many cases. My S.O. went to college during the business degree boom to graduate to an over- saturated workforce. He followed all the advisor's recommendations and researched the trends, etc., but by the time he realized that a business degree wasn't the best idea it was too late in the game to change. He is now back in school, years later, to pursue specialized training in the medical field. (RN). I think this is why you see so many people going for more specialized shorter training.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 12:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I went to college straight from high school. Did the BA I chose help me get a better job? No. Did I learn a lot about the world, become more open minded and become more tolerate of people who are different than me? Yes. I wouldn't trade that for anything.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I regret not finishing college before getting married and starting a family. Now, at 30, college pretty much sucks. It's not the fun time it could have been, but more of an ends to a means. It's going to take a college degree to afford the lifestyle I want and not live in poverty for the rest of my life. It seems many who are struggling only have high school diplomas. I would never wish that on my child.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Its what you make of it...I know someone who went to a ivy league college and is now working as an intake coordinator at a junior high, doing nothing related to his degree and making $35,000 a year. Why? Because he was waiting for job recruiters to come knocking at his door because he had gone to this great university. His mom got him his job because she knew the principal.
    nicksmommy1000

Answer by nicksmommy1000 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• First of all, college is never a scam! Getting a degree in 90 days is! It's that simple, no sacrafice no future benefit! Keep in mind, those who have degrees earn 1MM to 1.5MM more in life than those you don't. So, you do the math. And most jobs require a minimum of a college degree to get in the door. In this bad economy, it's good to be in school! No one can get my job without a degree in finance. Not going to college never crossed my mind and the old saying still has value, a college degree equals more opportunity. If you don't have one, you're never too old to get a degree and better your life. Another reason not to have to rely on a man to make it in this world. I bring to the table as much as my BF and very detailed when it comes to our finances and the bottom line. In the end, what are you doing today to make your life better tomorrow? If you're not doing anything, this should be a wake up call to reality!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010