Republican & Democrat

What is the difference? I am not political at all so please explain so I can understand. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Republicans are typically fiscally conservative - don't spend money you don't have, and morally conservative - pro-Christian values
    Democrats are typically fiscally liberal - take care of everyone no matter the cost, and morally liberal - mind your own business

It's never really that cut and dried - if you find someone who is a true Republican or true Liberal, they're typically rather psychotic and anti-social. Most people are a blend, some of one, more of the other.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree that MOST people are a blend of the two parties....but if that's the case, then why are ALL of those who lean conservative, instantly painted with the "Christian Bible Thumper" brush?! It seems unless you're identify as primarily liberal or progressive, you're not given much leeway!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• then why are ALL of those who lean conservative, instantly painted with the "Christian Bible Thumper" brush?

Because unless you make a point of stating that you are not one on a regular, daily basis, you are drowned out by the ones who are (and even then, I still get accused of being Christian at least once a week around here by people who don't know any better). Christian conservatism has hijacked the party to the point that you cannot draw a line between where religious pandering ends and policy begins. Case in point - go look at what the Tea Party Corp and Palin have done to try and hijack the tea party movement by grafting anti-gay and "family values" rhetoric onto the fiscal conservative message then paying millions to shout their version louder than all the independent tea parties that are still bi-partisan.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• you rockChristian conservatism has hijacked the party to the point that you cannot draw a line between where religious pandering ends and policy begins.

THIS^ This is the reason I left the Republican party a few years ago.

Keep the religion out of politics, please.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• In the same vein - why are all Dems painted as being against Christianity, despite the majority of them being Christian, too?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Bumping to see some civil answers.

All I know is both sides have their fanatics... Claiming one party over the other used to be easier but these days staying in the middle as a moderate is more to my personal beliefs and values.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 12:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• NP raising some good points. I think most Americans are a moderate blend of both parties and have values and ideals that shift more toward center. Many folks now identify themselves as Independent-meaning no party affiliation. Unfortunately, the most vocal folks tend to be those shifted to the far right and left; at the poles, if you will. We all know the definition ofpolarizing, and it perfectly describes these folks. Further, politicians from both sides act, respond, behave in pretty much the same way. Their collective goal is to maintain office and the associated power.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Democrats-more about free choice. Republicans- Christian, morals, values, etc. But tend to want to trample free choice to uphold morals and so called values. I think politics and religion should NEVER mix.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No difference I can see. They are all corrupt!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:54 AM on Aug. 19, 2010