Does anyone own a Hamilton Beach Digital Food Steamer?

I feel like a moron for asking, but I can't seem to figure it out. The instruction booklet isn't very clear. I'm trying to steam rice using the steamer, as part of the reason it was bought was for that purpose. Supposedly it can be done. I have tried putting water into the rice bowl it came with, and after the cook time I was left with mushy watery rice. I have tried putting the rice into the rice bowl dry, with just the steam from the bottom to cook the rice. No go.

Help! What am I doing wrong?

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Well... it's been days and you haven't had an answer, so I thought I'd put my oar in...

I don't have this kind of rice cooker, but rice won't cook by steaming it. You have to get the proportions right. Did it come with a measuring scoop? Are there lines on the inside of the cooking bowl?

Mine came with a cup, and the lines correspond: one scoop of (white) rice means water to the first line. Put the rice in before adding the water. For whole-grain rice, use 1/4-1/2 way up the next line (like, for 3 scoops, fill halfway between the 3 and 4 lines), more for softer rice, less for chewier.

The steaming thing is just for re-heating cooked rice ...and for cooking vegetables (I'm too lazy to do that, since it takes 6 minutes per pound to do any kind of vegetable in the microwave and I don't have to take it out of the cupboard...)
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Idk... Have you tried calling them?
    blsdbyangel07

Answer by blsdbyangel07 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2010