Any one else not want to dye their hair?

I have been plucking, plucking... and am getting too many greys to stay on top of. I haven't wanted to dye my hair because
1. I like my natural color
2. My hair is kind of dry already and I think chemical color will make it worse.

I am sad to be getting to the stage where I will have to dye... anyone have any tips for color that would help me?

Niki_sd

Asked by Niki_sd at 12:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• my mom uses the non perminate natural hair dye thats basically ment for covering up greys, its not as harsh on your hair
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Don't pluck them, geeze, that is not good and might make more come back. And dyes that are the semi-permanent kind aren't really harsh anymore. They will cover grays without darkening all your hair and your hair will be so soft afterwards. Or, let it go and be proud. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i'm 29 and have been going gray since 17. i LOVE my salt and pepper hair. you don't *have* to dye anything. just let your hair be, it's completely natural and beautiful.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I thought the SAME thing! BUT!!! I started using Clairol Natural Instincts hair color. It is NOT a permanent hair color and will not burn your hair like a permanent color (believe me, I tried them all). It lasts for about 2-3 months and actually makes my hair much more smooth, shiny and manageable. It looks like younger hair too, very soft & healthy. My hair looks better than before I colored it! I use a color #18 near my actual color and you cannot even tell that I color it. Definitely try it, you will be very happy! You just wet your hair down first (don't wash it) just dampen and towel it. Apply color, I leave it on for a little longer than they say to (1/2 hour) since I have more & more grey to cover. rinse and apply the conditioner that comes with it. I LOVE IT! Good Luck & let me know if you try it!! :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It is a wives tale that plucking will make more grey hairs. You only have so many hair folicals on your head.. no matter what you do with them. (Unless you burn them off)
    If plucking really made more hair than balding men every where would be tweezing away.

Thanks for the tips... I will work of the courage to try a not permanent color
    Niki_sd

Comment by Niki_sd (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• plucking doesn't make more grays... but it can lead to balding.. too much plucking can damage the hair follicle.

semi's and demi's aren't made for gray coverage so don't expect it to cover your unpigmented hairs.

if you have dry hair, try a few protein treatments to restore the protein in your hair (you can pm me if you want some home made recipes for this). Then I would just color with a permanent color. Make sure it's a "gray coverage" series as well, some permanent colors have separate formula specifically for unpigmented or gray hairs. Going a level lighter than your natural color is best for full coverage of grays. then obviously follow with another protein treatment. This should prevent any extra damage that coloring can contribute to.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• "I started using Clairol Natural Instincts hair color. It is NOT a permanent hair color and will not burn your hair like a permanent color (believe me, I tried them all)."

it doesn't "Burn" your hair. lol. It opens and swells the cuticle to allow for penetration of the pigments. But semi's and demi's work a little different... they still swell the hair, but they don't open the cuticle like a permanent will, the pigment sizes also make a difference on how long it lasts. The reason why it feels better for your hair though it is typically the conditioning treatments following the coloring. (which would be what a protein treatment would do for your hair naturally anyways, and actually a protein treatment is MUCH healthier, it's not just a cover up like some box brands).

Either way, they aren't typically meant for gray coverage.

and while clairol may be a good "box" brand (shivers).. I prefer professional products.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• (like those you'll get from your stylist, but since I'm a stylist I tend to just buy the color through a professional store and do it myself).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Use a gloss.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I started getting my hair done around 35 when there were just too many white ones to pluck. I love my natural red color, so I worked with my hair stylist to come close to the natural color as she could. I've gone a little darker since then and have been real happy with it.

It can be expensive to go to a salon, but one way I save money is she leaves strand throughout undyed except for the roots so that I have natural highlights.

I've never had any issues with it drying my hair out. I go every 5 weeks.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:49 AM on Aug. 18, 2010