What are the ramifications of having a toddler re-circumcised?

my son was circumcised 4 years ago, and Ive mentioned to my pediatrician that it appears he still has most of his foreskin left. They asked if I even had him circumcised. IM nervous for his physical appearance when he gets older, and his looks will matter to him.

sarahliz78

Asked by sarahliz78 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Many doctors now leave more of the foreskin than they used to. The boy needs some of the foreskin to grow into, and if too much is removed, he can have erection problems in adulthood (tight, painful, shortened and/or crooked erections). How your son's penis looks now is very different from how it will look when he is an adult. It could take several more years, but most likely he will 'grow into' the remaining foreskin and look how you are used to seeing a circumcised penis. If you have him re-circumcised, there is a chance that too much will be removed. He will also need to be put under, and you will need to pull back the remaining foreskin every day for at least a year to prevent adhesion (and possibly even more surgery).

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 6:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• The American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend circumcision, due to the potential risk outweighing any benefit. At 4 years old, the child will surely remember this unnecessary cosmetic surgery and the resulting pain associated with it. In my opinion, you should wait until he is old enough to weigh the benefit and risk and decide for himself.
    CheyennesMom03

Answer by CheyennesMom03 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My son is almost 6 and we have the same issue to deal with. I have been holding off surgery b/c on the anesthesia I think. I'll be paying attention to the answers you receive here to help me make the decision. There is no ? for us....he need's to have the surgery. They will also only do it during the summer months due to cold's, flu's and such during the other months.
    momof3angela

Answer by momof3angela at 9:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I had my son cut when he was born and 6 years later, I really regret the decision. I am enaged to an English man and he is un-cut and it isn't that different. I would never do it to any future children. I didn't even want to do it to my first but my ex-H insisted for appearances. Who cares??? Maybe if we all stopped doing it, it wouldn't be a big deal anymore? I say leave it alone. I doubt he will care when he gets older and if he does, he can choose as an adult to have the surgery.
    qtnik

Answer by qtnik at 9:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• If it is just for cosmetic reasons, why not wait until he is old enough to have a say in the matter? The circ rates are about 50-50 now, so it's not the big deal it used to be in the locker room.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Its really no big deal if your son's penis looks a little different. More moms are becoming enlightened that it is just a cosmetic provedure. there was a time circumcised men where the ones who were different; it was a way the Jews showed their devotion to GOD, following His law. I know i did not marry my husband for his penis hopefully your son will find a girl who looks at his heart no matter what you decide
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Circumcision shouldn't be performed in the first place, there is no biological or hygenic need for it. Your son shouldn't have the opportunity to view his father's penis so how would he know if they are alike or not? It does not take much more effort to clean an uncircumcised penis so it's not necessary at all to have it removed unless your son chooses to have it removed. Many men are actually going through processes to have their foreskin restored. Leave your son alone, when he is old enough to decide and wants the remaining foreskin removed, he can make that decision.
    Mama0f3grlz

Answer by Mama0f3grlz at 12:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• http://www.nocirc.org/
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• As many of the responses to my questions seem to be anti-circumcision, I was looking for advice now that it has been done and it was done incorrectly. Im concerned for his constant pulling and grabbing at it, especially since more of it hangs on the bottom. He has now gotten it caught. Im just trying to go forward with the notion that it was done, done wrong, and how do I live with it going forward. I would appreciate constructive advice for a mom who has already had her son circumcised and how do I deal with an improperly performed circumcision.
    sarahliz78

Answer by sarahliz78 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My son isn't cut. I know you want to hear from moms who did have it done. My SO tried to convince me to have our son circ'd when he was a few months old. The doctor said the older they are the harder it is. He also said that it is a major surgery at that age and shouldn't be done purely for looks because of the risk of serious complications. He mentioned that there is some thought to be given to the pyscological (sp) ramifications of having it done at that age as well.
    sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 2:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2008