Should there be a cap on what schools charge for tuition?

To me, school should be about the education, and I find it sad that people with less money can't get the funding or can't afford to attend a "top school" even if they have the smarts to do it...

I mean, as a student, you could have the PERFECT record & an IQ to match, but be forced to go to a local no name college simply because that's all you can afford... While a student with a much lower potential is accepted to Harvard or Yale simply because their mommy has money...

Then when looked at side by side for a job after wards, employers want the Harvard Grad over some no name school... So much for the American Dream...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in

• If its a private school not a state school then yes they should be able to charge what they want. Is it fair, no but life isnt fair and if everything was equal it would be socialism and I personally dont want that. YOu can achieve the american dream without a Harvard degree if your american dream isnt to unrealistic.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Exactly my point !! This is part of the overall evolving economy merry-go-round. If people were going to a great school, and go hired even then that is a shot in the dark. It 's first the Q of having the money, --smarts, ---college choice, but then ............just try to get a job in this wacky world of changing lifestyles, changing money values, changing money market, changing morals, changing diapers, (had to say that) well..... don't we, ok..... bad joke. !
    But in real life, the one with the low wage job has better chances of having conformist opportunities, and just a larger scale of job choice. The larger the pay, the smaller the outcome of choices. IMO
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's funny you mention Harvard. They were talking about Harvard on the Today show. At Harvard they are charging based on income. If you have low income you can go to Harvard for free including living in the dorm. Many of the top expensive colleges are free for lower income students.  

State Universities are cheap and offer a great education for the vast majority of students. Pell Grants should pay tuition and books with money left over. Students would then have the option of taking Stafford Loans, work study, working, or living with parents. Money really isn't an issue for going to college. I attended 8 universities for over 25 years and I have 3 children in college.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I actually thought about this because they were talking about it on my local news. One of out local schools made the top 5 list of "Top Schools" Harvard was Number 1... I don't have kids in school, I never saw a reason to go, so this doesn't all really apply to me, but apparently it's a hot topic on the news website...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• For years Stanford has been free if families meet income guidelines. Stanford is in California and is considered one of the best universities (some people think the best) in the country. Families making less than $100,000 pay no tuition and there is financial aid for families making over $100,000. I don't think $100,000 family income is low income!

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2010/february8/tuition-financial-aid-020910.html

It's too bad people aren't better informed about how to pay for higher education.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You can go to a top school as long as you are smart enough. I go to one of the top colleges in PA. It is one of the best nursing colleges in the East Coast and was featured on the Montel Williams show for our Forensic Science program. The only thing I pay out of pocket for at school is my lunch and that's only because I don't need a meal plan. I was going to actually get one this year but then I realized I couldn't get what I wanted so I nixed it. The fact is anyone who is intelligent with the grades and SAT scores can go to Harvard.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Grants, scholarships, and aid even it out. The more expensive the school, the more aid you qualify for, and beyond that you're limited only by how much effort you want to put into it. I'd rather the school charge more and keep class sizes low than go bargain basement and pack you in 80 to a class that is too complex to be taught that way. It's fine for the generic gen ed stuff, not so much for specialized classes that you need to keep building on throughout the degree.

Send the kid with the perfect grades to community college for 2 years, they should be able to qualify for enough scholarships to pay it completely, and use the 4.0 from community college to get even more aid to pay for the more expensive school later.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes, all of the top schools-Yale, Harvard and Stanford included have such large endowments that if you can get it and you make less than $100K- you go for free. As far as getting it-they are so competitive that even if they were moderately priced most people could not get in without superior attributes or a family connection!

There are very few if any students with perfect SAT/ACT scores that don't go to the school of their choice due to money.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Even schools like Notre Dame, Lehigh (I know you are from PA Sabrina I remember lol), Fordham, NYU...they are so well known for their academics, in addition to athletics (at least for ND and Lehigh), that they have to be academically and athletically competitive when accepting people. Even though basically anyone can go to them, they can only take the top of the top because they get so many applicants. I applied to Fordham and was sad when I was declined...I was informed of how many applications they receive...my husband's aunt was dean of admissions...she said it was crazy. I was going to go their for my Master's and was like "eh forget it...to many fish going for the same bait."
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:09 AM on Aug. 18, 2010