But aren't their just as many grants for a .......?

life of living on a low wage, and having grants to fund home/ apt. life. / and having 1st time buyers homes, and hmmmm. sounds like the old stand by, and even that is oversaturated. So, what are our children going to do / What are your children doing with these recent economic sluggish times of today? I mean to say how do they cope with the wages, and competitive market, etc.

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 12:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• My children aren't old enough that I expect they'll experience any negative outcome from the current recession later in life, any more than I experienced anything directly related to the recession of the 80s after I became an adult.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My kids are little so they aren't really in the job market. My husband has started his own business and with good work ethic and contacts he is keeping himself very busy. I think that now more than ever you need to do the basics really well, great resume, show up for the interview dressed up, send a thank you card to the person that interviewed you, if you get the job show up on time and work hard.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 12:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• No clue. Mine are in College and will both have debt when they graduate. As much as they say you don't really need college, I think that's wrong. You will have to have college to get a job good enough to live off of. My dh didn't go to college and makes $85,000 a yr. Yes it's a decent living but with 3 kids even that"s tough. My son who is laid off now but did make about $40,000 had a hard time finding an apt he could afford and still pay the few bills he had. I don't know how families do it on that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My child is a toddler so she has no idea what is going on economicly. Right now, I'm more concerned with short term. Will our business survive? Will I be able to find a job? Will we be able to afford to move like we want to? Will my parents have enough money to live off when Dad retires next year? In tough economic times, we have to focus on short term survival and let the future take care of itself. My grandparents were kids during the Great Depression, but by the time they were old enough to work, things had begun to turn around.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My kids feel the pinch as it impacts their clothing budget (it's just the basics at thrift store prices), what we do as a family, and what we eat. One is in college and has been having a rough time finding summer work. He just got a 2 week pick up job and hopes to get some work study at school. The younger one is 14 and has been doing yard work for a neighbor. He's saving for a school soccer team hoodie and some other team stuff. Things are tight. I think overall they are learning responsibility though. Even if we can't help them much, they know we love them.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My 15 year old will graduate college with a year of college credits. We will have enough saved for at least two years of college. She is planning to do a year of national service (like Americorp or CityYear), then enter the Teach For America program to get her Teaching degree.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Our son is only 4 years old. His college fund is already being funded and he will at least have undergrad paid for. I am hoping grad school as well. He has not felt any different b/c we have not really felt the recession. My husband and I are both still employed and my husband was promoted last year at his work. Thankfully b/c we both have college degrees....both jobs are secure and we make good money.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010